Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default turning antler

none in my possession yet but am wondering if anyone has turned antler

is it too hard or just not turning material

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2017-06-02 8:21 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
none in my possession yet but am wondering if anyone has turned antler

is it too hard or just not turning material

Kip Christensen's antler pieces are shown in several books.
Also see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmZQdAz8Sxo

There are many others.
Graham

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 9:21:06 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
none in my possession yet but am wondering if anyone has turned antler

is it too hard or just not turning material

Here in So Ala, all we have is white tail and the antlers are used to turn pens. I have some antler, but have not turned it yet. However, from what I have heard, it rather stinks when you turn it.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 20:39:59 -0600
graham wrote:

Kip Christensen's antler pieces are shown in several books.
Also see:

good to hear it is turnable

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 3 Jun 2017 04:53:10 -0700 (PDT)
"Dr. Deb" wrote:

turn pens. I have some antler, but have not turned it yet. However,
from what I have heard, it rather stinks when you turn it.

well the antler is the same thing as hair iirc and we know burning hair
is not well liked by many

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Saturday, 3 June 2017 03:21:06 UTC+1, Electric Comet wrote:
none in my possession yet but am wondering if anyone has turned antler

is it too hard or just not turning material

It turns like soft olive wood , almost like butter.. its basically a version of ivory , same stuff that your finger and toe nails are made from but in a harder form . use a very low speed to start .
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 10:21:06 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:
none in my possession yet but am wondering if anyone has turned antler

is it too hard or just not turning material

It turns just fine. However you choose to turn acrylics will work on antler. I use a 7mm pen kit and pair the antler with a .308 or a .3006 cartridge. I use a respirator when turning or sanding antler - I don't like the smell.

Dave

deer antler turning alysonsdad Woodturning 4 August 2nd 07 04:15 AM
Deer antler alysonsdad Woodturning 18 December 28th 05 02:55 PM
cpu fan is turning , but the BIOS display that it is not turning ( MSI motherboard) computer Electronics Repair 3 December 23rd 05 10:38 PM
antler dust?? Monya Woodturning 10 November 5th 05 11:11 PM
Not really Home repair: Repairing cracked horn (antler) handles Bob Landry Home Repair 2 February 19th 04 03:24 AM