Monya

Default antler dust??

I just started turning pens and have several shed antlers laying around.
Does anyone know if the dust from these are toxic.

thanx
bill

Buddy Matlosz

"Monya" wrote in message
ink.net...
I just started turning pens and have several shed antlers laying around.
Does anyone know if the dust from these are toxic.

Forget the dust. How long have you been shedding antlers???

B.

Martin H. Eastburn

Not chasing anything that walks - so that one is false :-)
Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Buddy Matlosz wrote:
"Monya" wrote in message
ink.net...

I just started turning pens and have several shed antlers laying around.
Does anyone know if the dust from these are toxic.

Forget the dust. How long have you been shedding antlers???

B.

tom

It's just hair. Tom

George

"Monya" wrote in message
ink.net...
I just started turning pens and have several shed antlers laying around.
Does anyone know if the dust from these are toxic.

Smells if heated , but it's basically bone - horn is cuticle. Lots of
people use it for turning.

Darrell Feltmate

Antler is bone, I believe, and in some ruminants modified hair. The problems
with dust are the same as problems with other dust. If you breath it in your
lungs have to clear themselves. It is better not to breath it. Besides
which, you will want to cover your nose as much as possible from the smell.
This is not a pretty thing. Have fun.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Arch

Hi Bill, I believe Rex Burningham and Kip Christensen discuss turning
pens from antlers in their books and videos and they probably have
articles in magazines. I'm not sure of this as I have no interest.

I can't stand the smell of burnt hair or bone; even the buck couldn't
stand it and got rid of his. I tried turning beef bone once and
like the taste of cod liver oil, sulfur & molasses and castor oil from
my childhood, the memory of that acrid smell lingers.

In fairness, antler turnings are quite attractive and desirable. Good
luck.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Chuck

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 00:31:30 GMT, "Monya" wrote:

I just started turning pens and have several shed antlers laying around.
Does anyone know if the dust from these are toxic.

It's not. It's hair. It'll stink, but it's not toxic. Ask the
gazillions of porcupines that eat them.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

George

"Chuck" wrote in message

It's not. It's hair. It'll stink, but it's not toxic. Ask the
gazillions of porcupines that eat them.

Costs no more to get it right.

Bone.
http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/herdmed/spe...0Calcification

Most permanently horny animals have cuticle "horns".

Rhinos have a detached "horn" similar to hair.

Lobby Dosser

"George" George@least wrote:

"Chuck" wrote in message

It's not. It's hair. It'll stink, but it's not toxic. Ask the
gazillions of porcupines that eat them.

Costs no more to get it right.

Bone.
http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/herdmed/spe...sio.html#Antle
r%20Growth%20and%20Calcification

Most permanently horny animals have cuticle "horns".

That explains the bumps on my head!

Rhinos have a detached "horn" similar to hair.