Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Default Turning brass on a wood lathe

Anybody have experience turning down brass nuts on a wood lathe? I'm making
some replacement handles for some socket chisels and am using a 3/4 nut on the
impact end. I want to turn the nut down smooth and shiny. Using a spindle
gouge and a skew was not very successful.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Regards,
Roy
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

"Roy" wrote:

Anybody have experience turning down brass nuts on a wood lathe?
I'm making
some replacement handles for some socket chisels and am using a 3/4
nut on the
impact end. I want to turn the nut down smooth and shiny. Using a
spindle
gouge and a skew was not very successful.

No and a wood lathe would not be my weapon of first choice.

If you are trying to turn hex nuts round, I'd thread the nut onto a
bolt, chuck the bolt/nut into a drill press chuck, and go at it with a
10" flat ******* file at about 200 RPM.

Final finish would be some 320 grit wet/dry.

PITA but you don't seem to have a metal lathe.

BTW, coat bolt threads with an anti-seize if you expect to break the
finished nut away from the bolt.

Lew

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

In article ,
Roy wrote:

Anybody have experience turning down brass nuts on a wood lathe? I'm making
some replacement handles for some socket chisels and am using a 3/4 nut on the
impact end. I want to turn the nut down smooth and shiny. Using a spindle
gouge and a skew was not very successful.

Lay a cloth on the bed to catch the crud.

If you want to cut it, you (imho) need to mimic a metal lathe toolpost
so the cutter can't move. Brass, copper etcetera is cut with no rake or
negative rake (top of the cutter is flat or pointed down into the work)
and your best bet in a wood-lathe kit is either an Oland tool or a
parting tool held with the top bevel flat to down (not a normal
wood-cutting position) If you can't do that...

With the lathe stopped, file each point to make 12 roughly equal sides.
If you have a fancy curved-tooth soft-metal file, it will help,
otherwise the largest, coarsest file you own, chalked (file a piece of
chalk, literally, to help keep the filings from sticking) and cleaned
regularly. At 12-sides, try tuning the lathe on (slow) and taking slow
file strokes as it turns - if too horrible, file those points off to
make 24 and try it again. Once it's round, sand it through a progression
of grits.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 08:37:34 -0400, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article ,
Roy wrote:

[...]

What he said, but definitely not an ideal situation.

You can do such stuff with all sorts of crazy contraptions, such as my
RedNeck lathe he
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

It should be noted, however, that the item no longer exists, it was
replaced by a better arrangement. I do ask myself often: How did I
ever exist without a metal lathe?

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 08:37:34 -0400, Ecnerwal
wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...885021723 &ty
pe=2&theater

It should be noted, however, that the item no longer exists, it was
replaced by a better arrangement. I do ask myself often: How did I
ever exist without a metal lathe?

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

In addition, if your brass filings are "fine" enough, keep them for
decorative filler in your wood turnings (I use CA to bind them in)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ralph E Lindberg wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 08:37:34 -0400, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article ,
Roy wrote:

[...]

I have used filings from brass on oak, maple, walnut turnings for
accenting a certain area. I can get all the filing that I want from any
local hardware store where they make keys.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Norvin Gordon wrote:
Ralph E Lindberg wrote:
In ,
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 08:37:34 -0400, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In ,
wrote:

[...]

I like to use brass chips or clippings along with bits of turquoise to
fill in knot holes in my bowls. I nearly fill the cavity with epoxy
tinted black with a drop of dye, add the brass and turquoise then
cover them with more epoxy. When it hardens I level it down with a
stone in a flex shaft grinder before sanding. This gives a more
impactful contrast than the filings I used to use.

--
 GW Ross

 And now for something completely
 different...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

On 7/17/2013 10:26 PM, Roy wrote:

Anybody have experience turning down brass nuts on a wood lathe? I'm making
some replacement handles for some socket chisels and am using a 3/4 nut on the
impact end. I want to turn the nut down smooth and shiny. Using a spindle
gouge and a skew was not very successful.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Regards,
Roy

I've done this with both brass and aluminum - just shape it with a bowl
gouge with a decent steel, run your lathe at a low speed. the tool
should be pretty sharp, and you want the tool rest very close to the
metal. after you are done, use a finish file to get any ripples out,
then sand up to 600, and then if you want gloss, polish them.

Wood turning on a metal lathe Matty F UK diy 6 November 3rd 11 10:05 AM
Base for wood turning lathe robgraham UK diy 8 October 1st 06 11:13 PM
Wood turning lathe Ole Woodworking 6 December 13th 05 06:06 AM
Recommend Lathe for Wood Turning Xlat Woodturning 10 January 13th 04 08:42 PM