Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Default Turning brass on a wood lathe

"Roy" wrote:

Anybody have experience turning down brass nuts on a wood lathe?
I'm making
some replacement handles for some socket chisels and am using a 3/4
nut on the
impact end. I want to turn the nut down smooth and shiny. Using a
spindle
gouge and a skew was not very successful.

No and a wood lathe would not be my weapon of first choice.

If you are trying to turn hex nuts round, I'd thread the nut onto a
bolt, chuck the bolt/nut into a drill press chuck, and go at it with a
10" flat ******* file at about 200 RPM.

Final finish would be some 320 grit wet/dry.

PITA but you don't seem to have a metal lathe.

BTW, coat bolt threads with an anti-seize if you expect to break the
finished nut away from the bolt.

Lew