Dan Valleskey

Default link belt on Delta 1440 VS

This lathe uses sheave pulleys to vary the speed, do you suppose a
link belt would work?

Anyone tried it yet?

thanks!
-Dan V.
The Davenports

This lathe uses sheave pulleys to vary the speed, do you suppose a
link belt would work?

Anyone tried it yet?

thanks!
-Dan V.

Since sheave and pulley mean exactlly the same thing, I'm not sure what
you're asking, so...

....if you mean your lathe uses step pulley-type speed change, then yes,
link-belts will work.

....if you mean that your lathe uses split sheave, Reeves-type drive, then
no, link-belt will NOT work. A Reeves drive needs a wide belt to work...a
"normal" Vee-belts is roughly the same thickness as its width...a belt for a
Reeves drive may be 4 to 5 or more times wider than the thinkness.

Mike

Leo Lichtman

The Davenports wrote: (clip) ...if you mean that your lathe uses split
sheave, Reeves-type drive, then no, link-belt will NOT work. A Reeves drive
needs a wide belt to work(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This does not agree with my experience. I used a Jet 1236 (with Reeves
drive) for several years after replacing the original belt with a link belt,
and I believe it was actually better. For one thing, you can adjust the
belt length by trial and error in 1/2" increments to get the best
combination of lower and upper speed limits. You can replace a few bad
links in case of a break, without having to change the whole belt. I
believe the belt had fewer problems with breakage than a normal V-belt.

As far as I can recall, the original belt was a NORMAL V-belt--not a wide
belt such as you describe.

Dan Valleskey

okay, thanks. Sounds like it will work out great. Sorry if I
mis-described the drive. it is a variable speed lathe, made so by the
action of the pulleys changing in width.

-Dan V.

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 03:39:42 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

The Davenports wrote: (clip) ...if you mean that your lathe uses split
sheave, Reeves-type drive, then no, link-belt will NOT work. A Reeves drive
needs a wide belt to work(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This does not agree with my experience. I used a Jet 1236 (with Reeves
drive) for several years after replacing the original belt with a link belt,
and I believe it was actually better. For one thing, you can adjust the
belt length by trial and error in 1/2" increments to get the best
combination of lower and upper speed limits. You can replace a few bad
links in case of a break, without having to change the whole belt. I
believe the belt had fewer problems with breakage than a normal V-belt.

As far as I can recall, the original belt was a NORMAL V-belt--not a wide
belt such as you describe.

Earl

The Davenports wrote: (clip) ...if you mean that your lathe uses split
sheave, Reeves-type drive, then no, link-belt will NOT work. A Reeves drive
needs a wide belt to work(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I, too, have the Reeves drive on my Delta. I replaced the regular belt
with a link belt and got a much quieter and smoother running lathe. It
had a normal belt, no a wide one, originally.

Earl

Maxprop

"Earl" wrote in message

The Davenports wrote: (clip) ...if you mean that your lathe uses split
sheave, Reeves-type drive, then no, link-belt will NOT work. A Reeves

drive
needs a wide belt to work(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I, too, have the Reeves drive on my Delta. I replaced the regular belt
with a link belt and got a much quieter and smoother running lathe. It
had a normal belt, no a wide one, originally.

I've done the same with my Jet 1442. The link belt seems to have eliminated
at least one small source of vibration.

Max

Alan McClure

Leo Lichtman wrote:

The Davenports wrote: (clip) ...if you mean that your lathe uses split
sheave, Reeves-type drive, then no, link-belt will NOT work. A Reeves drive
needs a wide belt to work(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This does not agree with my experience. I used a Jet 1236 (with Reeves
drive) for several years after replacing the original belt with a link belt,
and I believe it was actually better. For one thing, you can adjust the
belt length by trial and error in 1/2" increments to get the best
combination of lower and upper speed limits. You can replace a few bad
links in case of a break, without having to change the whole belt. I
believe the belt had fewer problems with breakage than a normal V-belt.

As far as I can recall, the original belt was a NORMAL V-belt--not a wide
belt such as you describe.

The normal belt on a Jet 1236 is a 10mm (3/8") v-belt, however, the Reeves
drive on it will work with a 1/2" link belt with a little loss of speed range.

ARM