Dan Valleskey

Default link belt on Delta 1440 VS

okay, thanks. Sounds like it will work out great. Sorry if I
mis-described the drive. it is a variable speed lathe, made so by the
action of the pulleys changing in width.

-Dan V.

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 03:39:42 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

The Davenports wrote: (clip) ...if you mean that your lathe uses split
sheave, Reeves-type drive, then no, link-belt will NOT work. A Reeves drive
needs a wide belt to work(clip)
This does not agree with my experience. I used a Jet 1236 (with Reeves
drive) for several years after replacing the original belt with a link belt,
and I believe it was actually better. For one thing, you can adjust the
belt length by trial and error in 1/2" increments to get the best
combination of lower and upper speed limits. You can replace a few bad
links in case of a break, without having to change the whole belt. I
believe the belt had fewer problems with breakage than a normal V-belt.

As far as I can recall, the original belt was a NORMAL V-belt--not a wide
belt such as you describe.