Joe C

Default Lathe comparison

I'm purchasing a lathe and am deciding between the Jet JWL-1236 and the
Delta 46-715. There's about a $240 difference between the two (Delta $640,
Jet $400) but I can't really figure out what additional features you get for
the rather large difference in price.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Victor Radin

In article ,
says...
I'm purchasing a lathe and am deciding between the Jet JWL-1236 and the
Delta 46-715. There's about a $240 difference between the two (Delta $640,
Jet $400) but I can't really figure out what additional features you get for
the rather large difference in price.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Get the Delta. I have the Jet 1236, and it is the absolute LAST tool
with the Jet branding I purchase. No major problems so far, but LOTS of
little piddly things that always seem to happen during the times when I
have time and health enough to be in the shop.
vis:
- Replaced rest and tailstock holds as they had stripped threads- 8
times. I now have only 1 left, and WILL NOT pay for more, but make my
own from here out.
- Repaired stripped threads in tool rest holder (banjo).
- Contacted Jet Service and replaced banjo due to stripped threads.
- Repaired stripped threads in NEW banjo.
- Repaired stripped threads in Tailstock.
- Unstuck reeves drive (twice).
- Tool rest extension is useful only as a paperweight, making outboard
turning next to impossible without a home-made toolrest.
- Polish and do final finish on tool rest. It arrived with dings and
pits.
- Purchase of new live center when the Jet provided model fell apart 1
week after warranty expired.
- Purchase new spur drive when provided drive "flattened out" enough to
not grab anything when tapping into end grain of a log (some type of
desert oak- hard, but not petrified).

Structurally the Jet isn't bad- stable with provided stand, powerful
enough to do the small to medium projects, finish (other than tool rest)
was fine- ways clean and accurate, alignment good, easy to put together.
Included tool set is just a hair under the quality of the Harbor Fright
el-cheapo set for 30 or 40 USD, but do take an edge and hold it well
enough to be useful for rough and sloppy work.

Not enough wrong with the entire package to make me want to get rid of
it, but enough of the little things to be a major disappointment.

Hindsight is 20-20, and had I known then, etc... I would have held out
for a different lathe.
--
Happy Turning,
Vic
Maxprop

"Joe C" wrote in message

I'm purchasing a lathe and am deciding between the Jet JWL-1236 and the
Delta 46-715. There's about a $240 difference between the two (Delta

$640,
Jet $400) but I can't really figure out what additional features you get

for
the rather large difference in price.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

The Delta is tough to beat for its price. My lathe, a Jet 1442, is slightly
more costly, slightly less heavy, but satisfactory so far. I looked at the
Jet 1236 and simply deemed it too light and dimensionally limited for my
needs. I had the opportunity to turn a walnut spindle on our local
retailer's 46-715 and must admit it was a nice lathe, especially considering
the price. I might have bought one instead of my Jet, had I done my
research.

Max

Ricc Havens

The Delta has a 14" X 40" capacity where the Jet is a 12" X 36" capacity.

Go to www.woodcentral.com. search the turning message boards for the 46-715
also known as delta 1440.

You will find some recent discussions pro and con. Like any brand, there
are lemons and there are great pieces of equipment. I have the Delta
46-715 and have had to replace only the belt. Another local woodworker
bought the lathe after trying mine. He has had lots of problems.

Good Luck
Ricc Havens
Elkhart, IN

"Joe C" wrote in message
m...
I'm purchasing a lathe and am deciding between the Jet JWL-1236 and the
Delta 46-715. There's about a $240 difference between the two (Delta

$640,
Jet $400) but I can't really figure out what additional features you get

for
the rather large difference in price.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

The Eyres

I have the Delta 46-701, the predessesor of the 715, made around 1997. I
replaced the belt because it was making alot of noise and causing some
vibration. Bought a link belt and now I almost forget the thing is running.
Beats my old Grizzly Heavy Duty all to heck. Can't say about the Jet because
I haven't tried one, but I'm sure happy with the Delta.

Earl