Maxprop

Default green ash

Has anyone turned green ash (the species, not wet wood) for anything beyond
spindles and baseball bats? I have several crotch pieces, about 20" in
diameter and 16" long. I was wondering if it could be used as bowl stock?
I know this wood splits quite easily, as I handsplit the entire trunk and
larger branches into two cords of firewood. I tried to split one of these
crotch sections and gave up. Is this normally easily-split characteristic
such that green ash is disqualified for bowl turning?

Max

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Max
Green ash is only a variety of red ash its name Fraxinus pennsylvanica
var. subintegerrima. the difference less hair on the leaves, twigs and
flower stalk, than on the red ash.
I cannot tell the difference just looking at them but I have turned
white, red, green, black and I think at one time a blue ash they are all
very much alike, tough (long straight grained)flexible wood, it has not
the interlocking grain like elm but in my experience no problem with
splitting if you slow down the initial end grain drying.
attractive grain sometimes and you can make some real nice bowls out off it.
Have fun and take care!!
Leo Van Der Loo

Maxprop wrote:
Has anyone turned green ash (the species, not wet wood) for anything beyond
spindles and baseball bats? I have several crotch pieces, about 20" in
diameter and 16" long. I was wondering if it could be used as bowl stock?
I know this wood splits quite easily, as I handsplit the entire trunk and
larger branches into two cords of firewood. I tried to split one of these
crotch sections and gave up. Is this normally easily-split characteristic
such that green ash is disqualified for bowl turning?

Max

Maxprop

"Leo Van Der Loo" wrote in message

Maxprop wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Leo, for the low down on ash. I'll chainsaw those chunks into bowl
stock and seal the endgrain as soon as the weather breaks. If nothing else,
I can always contribute my failures to the firewood pile.

Max

Dave Balderstone

I've turned green ash to bowls a couple of times and have more roughs
waiting.

Once it's dry, sharp tools and a light cut seems to be the rule for me.
I've shattered more than I've completed, but I'm still new at this.

djb

--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Maxprop

"Dave Balderstone"

I've turned green ash to bowls a couple of times and have more roughs
waiting.

Once it's dry, sharp tools and a light cut seems to be the rule for me.
I've shattered more than I've completed, but I'm still new at this.

Ditto. A comment by a close friend dining at our home last weekend: "The
dinner was delicious, the conversation stimulating, and you have the most
interesting firewood I've ever seen."

I've been attempting some of Mike Darlow's spindle exercises.

Max

Dave Balderstone

In article et,
Maxprop wrote:

A comment by a close friend dining at our home last weekend: "The
dinner was delicious, the conversation stimulating, and you have the most
interesting firewood I've ever seen."

LOL!

Yeah, my burn bin gets interesting too.

djb

--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Chisel handle wood, green heart? AArDvarK Woodworking 10 July 3rd 04 09:56 AM
Turning green wood js Woodturning 7 December 9th 03 03:57 AM
FS: Green & Green book Rick Stein Woodworking 2 October 11th 03 03:59 AM
Green ooze from house wiring roger UK diy 18 August 14th 03 11:22 PM
Is tanalised timber green? Eric Cartman UK diy 14 July 18th 03 05:26 PM