Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Delta 46-460 vs PSI Turncrafter Commander

I'm considering upgrading to a new midi and have focused my search down to
the Delta 46-460 and Turncrafter Commander 12" Variable speed models. The
Jet 1220 Variable speed is a close third (I have a very old 1014 and love
it). I like the reversible feature of the Delta so it has a slight lead at
the moment.

I'd appreciate any comments from anyone with experience with one or both of
these lathes. Santa will no doubt bring one of them!

Also, in order to use the reversible feature with a Oneway Talon, do I need
to lock on the chuck in any way?

Thanks,

Tom in Howell, NJ

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Teejay" wrote:

I'm considering upgrading to a new midi and have focused my search down to
the Delta 46-460 and Turncrafter Commander 12" Variable speed models. The
Jet 1220 Variable speed is a close third (I have a very old 1014 and love
it). I like the reversible feature of the Delta so it has a slight lead at
the moment.

I'd appreciate any comments from anyone with experience with one or both of
these lathes. Santa will no doubt bring one of them!

Also, in order to use the reversible feature with a Oneway Talon, do I need
to lock on the chuck in any way?

Thanks,

Tom in Howell, NJ

We have the 1220VS and have used the PSI Turncraft, my preference would
be for the Jet. I haven't used the Delta, but have seen very good things
about it

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 20:03:35 -0500, "Teejay"
wrote:

I'm considering upgrading to a new midi and have focused my search down to
the Delta 46-460 and Turncrafter Commander 12" Variable speed models. The
Jet 1220 Variable speed is a close third (I have a very old 1014 and love
it). I like the reversible feature of the Delta so it has a slight lead at
the moment.

I'd appreciate any comments from anyone with experience with one or both of
these lathes. Santa will no doubt bring one of them!

Also, in order to use the reversible feature with a Oneway Talon, do I need
to lock on the chuck in any way?

I have had the Delta for about 3 years and I love it.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

I'm considering upgrading to a new midi and have focused my search down to
the Delta 46-460 and Turncrafter Commander 12" Variable speed models. The
Jet 1220 Variable speed is a close third (I have a very old 1014 and love
it). I like the reversible feature of the Delta so it has a slight lead at
the moment.

I'd appreciate any comments from anyone with experience with one or both of
these lathes. Santa will no doubt bring one of them!

Also, in order to use the reversible feature with a Oneway Talon, do I need
to lock on the chuck in any way?

Thanks,

Tom in Howell, NJ

Hey Tom

Did you get the new Midi ?

I'm considering upgrading my old Delta to a variable speed and was
wondering what you decided and how it's working out.

When I run my Nove in reverse I don't lock the chuck unless it's a
heavy piece.

Thanks

Randy also in Howell
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Teejay wrote:
I'm considering upgrading to a new midi and have focused my search down to
the Delta 46-460 and Turncrafter Commander 12" Variable speed models. The
Jet 1220 Variable speed is a close third (I have a very old 1014 and love
it). I like the reversible feature of the Delta so it has a slight lead at
the moment.

I'd appreciate any comments from anyone with experience with one or both of
these lathes. Santa will no doubt bring one of them!

Also, in order to use the reversible feature with a Oneway Talon, do I need
to lock on the chuck in any way?

Thanks,

Tom in Howell, NJ

My Nova reversible has a chuck with a "setscrew" to tighten when using
the reverse turning feature. Seldom use the screw. Once when I did I
forgot about it and buggered up the threads some trying to get the chuck
off.

GW Ross

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"G.Ross" wrote:

My Nova reversible has a chuck with a "setscrew" to tighten when using
the reverse turning feature. Seldom use the screw. Once when I did I
forgot about it and buggered up the threads some trying to get the chuck
off.

Not -all- Nova inserts have this setscrew. I would have to check the
letters (model) but I have three inserts that don't

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ralph E Lindberg wrote:
In article ,
"G.Ross" wrote:

My Nova reversible has a chuck with a "setscrew" to tighten when using
the reverse turning feature. Seldom use the screw. Once when I did I
forgot about it and buggered up the threads some trying to get the chuck
off.

Not -all- Nova inserts have this setscrew. I would have to check the
letters (model) but I have three inserts that don't

So do I. My 4th one does.

--
G.W.Ross

We're all in the same boat: I fish,