Kevin

Default A book on Finishing

Hello All,

Have been turning for awhile now and got my lathe adjusted properly - had to
raise it about 4" to get up to the level of my elbow. That had a lot to do
with getting rid of some horrendous upper back/lower neck pain. Anyways,
having turned a few bowls/boxes I am interested in getting a book or 3 on
finishes. I read about shellac, waxes, stains, poly, etc... and need some
source that covers the common and perhaps not so common finishes. Would be
nice if the source also had application information, when to use what
finish, durability and such.
thanks.
-k

Mike Paulson

"Understanding Wood Finishing" by Bob Flexner has been the most valuable
finishing book for me. I like how he makes a lot of comparisons between
this finish, that finish, and the next one, and he also gives a lot of
good information on things like durability and waterproof-ness. Probably
the best info that's turner-specific is Steve Russell's CD.

-mike paulson, fort collins, co

Russ Fairfield

Have you looked at my "Finishing Secrets" articles that are on-line at

http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/russ3.shtml

The articles are specific to woodturning, and there are recommendations for
further reading.

Russ Fairfield
Post Falls, Idaho
http://www.woodturnerruss.com/
Grandpa

"Understanding Wood Finishing" by Bob Flexner hands down. I just asked
this question a day or two ago as I could not for the life of me
remember the title and someone was kind enough to refresh my memory. I
got it from the library after it was raved about in the NG months ago
and was impressed so now I want to buy a copy for my reference library.
Xmas is just about hereG.