Sharon Berman

Default Delta X 46-765X Lathe

I was wondering whether anyone has had the opportunity to check out
the new Delta X lathe. From the sounds of the specs, it appears to
have a lot going for it concidering the price is around $2000. I'm in
the market for a larger lathe but haven't seen this one up close and
personal yet. but have been going back and forth on the Vicmarc VL175
or VL200 and the Nova DVR3000. Any feedback would be greatly
appreciated.
Don Pencil

Sharon,
I read the notes posted in the Wood Mag. forum.
Although there are always a small percentage of tools that have factory
mechanical defects, I would not rule out the Delta 16" lathes on that alone.
I spent an entire three day weekend demonstrating on the Delta 46-745
16"x42" 1 1/2hp 120 vac.
I found it to be an excellant lathe for the money. The stand is very heavy
and stable and can have balast added without resorting to sand baging the
lathe. The steel bed is excellant and I found it's rigidity outstanding. I
was given three "kind of" rounded blocks of maple 16" in diameter and 8"
thick to work with. Each was mounted on 3.5" aluminum faceplates. The
lathe was standing on carpet and without balast or extra support. Right out
of the box. Although the wood very out of balance I was able to easily turn
two out of the three and the third with just a little bit of extra effort on
low speed. These would have been a charm with some balast and the usual
support we would give any lathe when turning out of balance wood.
The 1 1/2 hp 120 vac motor drove the wood through 1/2" cuts with the bowl
gouge. Outstanding power.
The sliding headstock and steel bed made those jobs even easier. Over all,
it was one of the easiest lathes to work with that I have used.
I'm not saying that more money can't buy more lathe. I would not compare
this to a $5,000 Oneway 2436. But I think it is the best in the $2,000
range.
I hope this has given you some help.
Be Well,
Don

"Sharon Berman" wrote in message
om...
I was wondering whether anyone has had the opportunity to check out
the new Delta X lathe. From the sounds of the specs, it appears to
have a lot going for it concidering the price is around $2000. I'm in
the market for a larger lathe but haven't seen this one up close and
personal yet. but have been going back and forth on the Vicmarc VL175
or VL200 and the Nova DVR3000. Any feedback would be greatly
appreciated.

Dave Peebles

Hello George,

I believe that you are comparing two entirely different lathes here. The
46-715 is in no way comparable to the 46-765X I believe that the 46-715 is
the lighter weight 14" lathe with the reeves drive. While the 46-765 is the
heavier 16" lathe with a totally different drive system.

While I haven't had a chance to turn on either one, they do seem to be
different animals.

Best wishes,
Dave

David Peebles
Lyons, Ohio
Revolutions Woodturning
www.bowlturner.com

George Wrote...

I'm going to lean on this subject just a little bit. Read this link
from the Wood magazine forum and then go out buy your Vicmarc.

http://talk.woodmagazine.com/default...tReplies__AWOO
Dsubject_list_html___1___1317439___9___1

Bill Rubenstein

I've turned on both and hey are completely different machines. And, in
each of their price classes I think that there are better alternatives.

Bill

In article ,
says...
[...]

Sharon Berman

Don,
Thanks for your input. Your experience with this lathe definately
sounds positive. My only reservation about Delta is all that I have
read about their poor customer support. I do have other Delta tools
but have not had a problem that required customer support. Right now
I'm still in the research phase of this purchase.There is so much info
to go thru but I greatly appreciate you taking time to relay your
experience about this lathe. I will give it a second look.
Thanks again,
Sharon
georgetroy

(Sharon Berman) wrote in message . com...
Don,
Thanks for your input. Your experience with this lathe definately
sounds positive. My only reservation about Delta is all that I have
read about their poor customer support. I do have other Delta tools
but have not had a problem that required customer support. Right now
I'm still in the research phase of this purchase.There is so much info
to go thru but I greatly appreciate you taking time to relay your
experience about this lathe. I will give it a second look.
Thanks again,
Sharon

Hello Sharon,
The Delta X tools are pretty well just a new way of marketing and
staying competive in price, I don't know about quality. I'm proud to
be the owner of A Delta Unisaw with Beis. I purchased this as a
package and it include a mobile stand. For the same price that saw is
now the same price as that I paid without that $150.00 mobile stand.
Delta has now gone to China to make their bandsaw. Is this good or bad
I don't know. I have used the Delta 16 46-765 in a demo. I did this in
a wood & tool store. Later in checking another machine like the one I
just used, I noticed that the spindle on it was in an usable
condition. That is the threads were all torn up. Too me that indicated
I'm glad I made other choices. When I purhase a machine or lathe I'm
concerned how long it will last? Will I need repairs? I expect my
lathes to be the same way. I have gone overboard in the purchase of
lathes in the last 20 years. But all has been great performers on the
most part. Including my variable speed(reeves drive)Delta(1986) I sold
this lathe to make room for my new Vicmarc 175 addition. The Delta was
noisy is the only compliant I had about it. For the next user this
machine will last a lifetime. Every thing about it was of high quality
and just as good now then as it is now. I'm just reluctant to buy
machines from China or Tiawan, sometimes I have no good choice. My
current lathes in the shop are as follows: Vicmarc VL300, Vicmarc
VL100, Vicmarc VL175, General 260(1987), Nova DVR, Avon Tyme, Klein
Mini, and Shopsmith. I have given away or sold the mentioned Delta,
Kity, Cornet and Elu. George Troy Hurlburt
http://www.georgetroygraphics.com
Arch

Hi George Troy. As with you, I rarely meet a lathe I dislike.
Congratulations on your fine stable of thorobreds. Do you recommend
buying lathes in sets or one at a time as you decide upon the ones that
you find useful? With envy, Arch

Fortiter,

Bill Gooch

My experience with Delta was that the on/off switch broke. The dealer I
bought the lathe at referred me to a Delta service depot who wouldn't look
at the repair unless I brought the complete lathe in - absolutely
ridiculour. Went to an electric supply store and bought a new switch. I
will probably go for another brand when I upgrade in a couple of years.

Dan

I have a 46-746 with a 2HP motor and have had no noise problems. Looks like
the new X5 is a replacement or marketing ploy. Could be the X5 series comes
from a different manufacturing source. I needed a lathe I could move easily
and a head stock that would travel the full length of the bed. I am quite
happy with the lathe and would buy it again.

Dan
"Eccentric by Nature"

"Sharon Berman" wrote in message
om...
I was wondering whether anyone has had the opportunity to check out
the new Delta X lathe. From the sounds of the specs, it appears to
have a lot going for it concidering the price is around $2000. I'm in
the market for a larger lathe but haven't seen this one up close and
personal yet. but have been going back and forth on the Vicmarc VL175
or VL200 and the Nova DVR3000. Any feedback would be greatly
appreciated.

Martin Rost

We had a Delta rep at our last woodworking meeting and the X5 is part of a
marketing plan. It replaces the Limited Edition that they had been doing.
There is a 5 year warranty on the tools and they come with rebate coupons
and mail in offers. Some of the offers seemed pretty good. There are also
new products coming out in the X5 plan. Part of what they are doing is
trying to differentiate between their industrial and consumer products.
Martin