Terry Kemmerer

Default Willow Wood

Hi,

I have just started turning wood. I have some willow wood. Has anyone
turned this type of wood or isn't it a good wood to turn?

TIA
Terry

W.Gooch

That was the first wood I tried my hand on. As it was very green it cut
well and gave me quite a boost in confidence. I should have dried it a
little more before finishing it but the two or three bowls I made with it
have held up fine. I have a bunch of blanks, willow and other stuff for the
winter, I think the "aged" willow will probably look better.

--
Bill Gooch
Kemptville, ON

"Terry Kemmerer" wrote in message
Hi,

I have just started turning wood. I have some willow wood. Has anyone
turned this type of wood or isn't it a good wood to turn?

TIA
Terry

fipster

I have used willow. When first cut down it is so wet that it's hard to turn. Let it dry for a while
(2 to 3 weeks) - use sharp gauges - don't bother with trying a bark edge. You will probably have to
do some sanding after the bowl has dried. I used mineral oil as a finish - it gives a real nice
color.

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 13:08:29 -0400, "Terry Kemmerer" wrote:

Hi,

I have just started turning wood. I have some willow wood. Has anyone
turned this type of wood or isn't it a good wood to turn?

TIA
Terry

Ruth

After reading the responses regarding willow, it should be noted that
there are a variety of willow included age of the tree and what season
it was cut, to be taken into consideration.

One older weeping willow from a yard (not near running water) had a
tremendous amount of the burl growth. Those pieces turned great right
from the day they were cut, the bark stayed on and the grain was
interesting (only where these burl growths were, the rest was rather
plain). This was cut in Nov. after heavy winds did damage.

Another willow from a yard (no running water) was just plain boring and
the bark would not stay on, it was cut in late spring.

Just recently I turned a piece from my own willow, next to my pond in a
field with 3 natural springs. I just had 2 huge limbs cut that were
hanging over the pond (messy). It was too wet, had to let it sit for
a month (as one turner suggested) and just finish turned it last week.
It so-so, not worth the effort (to me) but, so far, the bark is staying
on.

Guess all this means is try it and see what happens. You may have a
piece that non of these responses relates to what you will experience;
thus the thrill of turning! : )

Ruth

Woodturners Logo
My shop and Turnings at
http://www.torne-lignum.com

Tony Manella

I've been away for a few days but I'll add this in, as late as it is. I've
only turned willow wood that came from a corkscrew willow tree. Not sure
what species that is. The wood was a very light creamy color, rather bland.
I turned one piece within a week of the limb coming down. It was extremely
soft, difficult to cut, and ended up fuzzy. I hate to sand green wood and
especially fuzzy green wood so I opted for a wire brush finish, which made
the piece feel soft and furry. The other piece I had I let sit for about a
month before I got to it. It had deteriorated so bad during that month that
it was impossible to turn. I could have carved out a bowl with a butter
knife though. Like Ruth said, there are a lot of variables with this wood
so take everything into consideration.
Tony Manella
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners