Ruth

Default Willow Wood

After reading the responses regarding willow, it should be noted that
there are a variety of willow included age of the tree and what season
it was cut, to be taken into consideration.

One older weeping willow from a yard (not near running water) had a
tremendous amount of the burl growth. Those pieces turned great right
from the day they were cut, the bark stayed on and the grain was
interesting (only where these burl growths were, the rest was rather
plain). This was cut in Nov. after heavy winds did damage.

Another willow from a yard (no running water) was just plain boring and
the bark would not stay on, it was cut in late spring.

Just recently I turned a piece from my own willow, next to my pond in a
field with 3 natural springs. I just had 2 huge limbs cut that were
hanging over the pond (messy). It was too wet, had to let it sit for
a month (as one turner suggested) and just finish turned it last week.
It so-so, not worth the effort (to me) but, so far, the bark is staying
on.

Guess all this means is try it and see what happens. You may have a
piece that non of these responses relates to what you will experience;
thus the thrill of turning! : )

Ruth

Woodturners Logo
My shop and Turnings at