Tony Manella

Default Willow Wood

I've been away for a few days but I'll add this in, as late as it is. I've
only turned willow wood that came from a corkscrew willow tree. Not sure
what species that is. The wood was a very light creamy color, rather bland.
I turned one piece within a week of the limb coming down. It was extremely
soft, difficult to cut, and ended up fuzzy. I hate to sand green wood and
especially fuzzy green wood so I opted for a wire brush finish, which made
the piece feel soft and furry. The other piece I had I let sit for about a
month before I got to it. It had deteriorated so bad during that month that
it was impossible to turn. I could have carved out a bowl with a butter
knife though. Like Ruth said, there are a lot of variables with this wood
so take everything into consideration.
Tony Manella
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.org/

"Terry Kemmerer" wrote in message
Hi,

I have just started turning wood. I have some willow wood. Has anyone
turned this type of wood or isn't it a good wood to turn?

TIA
Terry