Joe Fleming

Default Vicmarc Chuck

For what it is worth, I have one of the newer VM120 chucks and it does have
a locking set screw on the insert. I bought a spanner wrench with a pin to
engage the insert. I have actually used that wrench and an "enforcer" pipe
for additional leverage. I put the key in the chuck for the other handle.
I did all of this on the spindle, but not tightened on the spindle. By
screwing the chuck partially on the spindle, it acts like a third hand.

Joe Fleming - San Diego
====================================
"Herman Levee" wrote in message
.. .
Need some help to change spindle adaptor on 33/4 Vicmarc from 1-8tpi to
11/4-8 tpi. I find the old adaptor very tight and am afraid to do damage

if
I force it. Is there some hidden set screw that I cant see. I E mailed
Vicmarc but havnt gotten an answer. The co. that I purchased the adaptor
from is closed for the next week while at the AAW in CA.Any help would be
appreciated.
Herman
Levee

Herman Levee

To all who have lent support,thanks. My friend Chuck got it loose and I have
installed the new 1.25 or 11/4 x8 TPI with the locking set screw and
tightened same. My thoughts are that if it prevents coming loose then it
should help to keep from getting too tight. comments welcome. Also on
closing, I have installed this chuck on my new 16x 42 Jet Lathe with 2 HP
motor,to be able to start an out of balance log at 0 RPM's and slowly
accellerate to desired speed. So far "Fantastic"
Herm