Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Turning Spruce

Just came into some green spruce sections. Any tips on what works well
and what doesn't. It sure smells good when sawn.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

In youth we learn; in age we understand.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 12/17/2010 03:15 AM, Gerald Ross wrote:
Just came into some green spruce sections. Any tips on what works well
and what doesn't. It sure smells good when sawn.

I find with spruce the fireplace works best...

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 12/17/2010 7:15 AM, Gerald Ross wrote:
Just came into some green spruce sections. Any tips on what works well
and what doesn't. It sure smells good when sawn.

This is Douglas Fir... anyone have an idea on how this was turned?

http://www.billluce.com/strata_1.html

more...

http://www.billluce.com/about_my_work.html
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Search Google for "The Wood Explorer" tool - great research.

Doug Fir - used to have half a dozen with over a hundred coastal
Redwoods. I left them there and hope they still are growing.

Moderate blunting effect.
Farly easy to bore
Fair to good results in carving.
Easy to to saw.

'spruce' - only 1 of 35 or so evergreen trees - vague name usage
but common in general talk.

Norway spruce is a species. It is one of the 35. They are all different...

Martin

On 12/17/2010 8:01 PM, sbnjhfty wrote:
On 12/17/2010 7:15 AM, Gerald Ross wrote:
Just came into some green spruce sections. Any tips on what works well
and what doesn't. It sure smells good when sawn.

This is Douglas Fir... anyone have an idea on how this was turned?

http://www.billluce.com/strata_1.html

more...

http://www.billluce.com/about_my_work.html

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 07:15:21 -0500, Gerald Ross
wrote:

Just came into some green spruce sections. Any tips on what works well
and what doesn't. It sure smells good when sawn.

Never tried it, Gerald, but it doesn't appear to be a common turning
wood..
Let me know how ya do on it!