Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default my new respirator

well, I have been putting it off for too long, getting a better respirator. I
have a full beard... especially if I've had soup for supper, but I digress. A
full beard and a respirator are not generally considered compatible. I have
worn a mask that covered the nose and mouth, and just cinched the straps up,
and have probably kept the bigger chunks out of my innards, but the finest
dusts are the ones that really cause the problems, I suppose. Well I found an
outfit called the Resp-o-rator, which has a HEPA filter for the fine dusts.
It has a scuba-like mouthpiece, and the pair of filters hang behind the neck,
out of the way. An exhaust valve is just under my snout. No problem with
fogging up my glasses, or even interfering with the fit of my glasses over
the bridge of th' nose. Bought it off the internet - there were a handful of
sources, with widely ranging prices. I got mine from Hartville tool co for
$38 bucks plus change plus shipping, ymmv

I have no connection with this company or the respirator company, just
telling you about what I got. Seems to be okay, so far, just a bit dry in the
mouth in the low humidity.

tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have had one for several years for the same reason you bought one -
beard. Changing filters is easy enough.
One thing that has worn out is the small nose piece. The soft coating
will eventually wear out due perhaps
to sweat. I have not found a replacement for it.

On Sep 20, 8:47*pm, tom koehler
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Anything is better than nothing - and what you got is better than
a stap on "dust mask". I'd have a problem with the nose clip
thing - perhaps a throwback issue from my diving days when
equalizing pressure in my inner ear was necessary - whereas -
on dry land could be a problem. We don't seem built to breath
through just our mouths.

I got the Trend Airshield Pro - in part because it works with a
beard, which I have. Had to grow a beard to see how gray I
was getting - since the standard issue hair apparerntly went
of warranty and then stopped replenishing itseld ; )

One of the unexpected benefits of the unit is that I keep my
eyes wide open when turning, even when I have to get them
close to the spinning piece. Hadn't realized that I'd automatically
been squinting when things got critical - and I wear unbreakable
eye glasses. The brain seems to automatically feel that the eyes
are protected so no squinting is needed. I SEE more and a lot
better when wearing the mask/helmet/face shield. An unexpected
consequence.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 17:02:41 -0500, charlie b wrote
(in message ):

[...]

I don't use the nose clip, I just breathe through my mouth with no
difficulty. I will admit that the positive pressure face shield kind of
respirator is likely the gold standard. It also keeps the beard away from
rapidly spinning bits of wood.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Respirator filters - what's in them? geraldthehamster[_2_] UK diy 12 June 12th 10 09:31 AM
DIY powered respirator? james Woodworking 7 September 26th 09 02:01 PM
respirator confusion! [email protected] Woodworking 15 March 9th 07 02:40 PM
Triton Respirator irwin Woodturning 0 November 16th 04 12:50 PM
Respirator? DrewMor Woodturning 0 October 18th 03 10:57 PM