Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Somewhat off topic

Hello
The question I have is somewhat off-topic and may well be better asked
in the wreck. I hesitate to do so though. I want to build a table.
It will be approximately 7' - 8' in length and stand about 32" - 36"
high. As horizontal surface in a workshop tend to be prime real
estate for all manner of squatters I have already dedicated it to only
two purposes. One purpose will be a home for the 2 or 3 grinders I
have. Being immediately behind the lathe, convenience is good.
The top is laminated and the material itself is MDF (I think). My
question concerns the legs. My three previous attempts at putting
together something like this have always resulted in uneven legs.
That is, the tables rock. Is there some trick to getting all four
legs to rest on the ground at the same time. Note I have no table saw
(shop too small) and only a band saw and circular saw. Any advice on
tips will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article
,
Kevin wrote:

[...]

Measure with care, cut with care, assemble with care, and use a nice
tidy shim if needed - perhaps the floor isn't level.

If you don't like a shim, put levelers on all four legs, or put enough
weight on top of the table that all 4 legs touch.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Kevin wrote:
[...]

For shop tables, stands, etc. I'll often drill a hole in the bottom of
the legs and install lag bolts. I can then turn the lag bolts in or out
to compensate for an uneven floor and lag bolts are cheap.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Kevin" wrote in message
[...]

Cut one leg shorter than the rest and put a leveler on it.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Kevin" wrote in message
[...]

I have done a few of these and found that devil has a way of screwing around
with you:

1) The bench which was rock solid in the place where it was assembled was
wobbling when moved to the place it was actually going to live. Uneven
floor...

2) The bench which was rock solid one day became wobbly two days later -
humid weather.

Many good solutions have been suggested. I solved the first problem by
placing the shorter leg onto a caulking silicon blob and let it set. It
cured the problem overnight.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Kevin" wrote in message
[...]

A few holes, T nuts, and screw-in feet.

Ed

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 12:24:47 -0600, Kevin wrote
(in message
):

[...]

I've been making sawdust for 50 years, and it is my considered opinion that
there is no such thing as a 4-legged anything that will sit true on any given
floor. Be of good cheer. You have gotten some great tips from experienced
woodworkers, and they are all legit.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 10:24:47 -0800 (PST), Kevin wrote:

[...]

Build it the best you can and them add leveling legs.. Most floors are uneven,
anyway..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Kevin wrote:
[...]

With the table in the position in which you intend to use it, place
packing such as pieces of cardbroad under the wobby legs until they
don't rock.

Then use a small block of wood, say 1/2" high, held against the sides of
each leg as guide as you scribe a line around all four sides of each of
the legs in turn, then cut the legs to the marks and it won't wobble.

Same for chairs.

Hope that helps!

David.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

David Taylor wrote:

Some "enhancements"/clarifications to David's suggestion:

With the table in the position in which you intend to use it, place
packing such as pieces of cardbroad under the wobby legs until they
don't rock.

When I have done this, I've set the chair on my table saw versus the
ground. This is as flat a surface as I have. Also, the block of wood
slides more smoothly and it eliminates inaccuracy introduced by the
floor. You may want to check your chair with a level.

Then use a small block of wood, say 1/2" high, held against the sides of
each leg as guide as you scribe a line around all four sides of each of
the legs in turn, then cut the legs to the marks and it won't wobble.

Specifically, tape a sharp pencil or pen to a block of wood with the tip
protruding beyond the edge. Then place the block on the tablesaw surface
and scribe around all 4 legs and cut/file to the scribed lines.

Same for chairs.

Hope that helps!

David.

Away off Topic But BigWallop[_2_] UK diy 6 November 23rd 08 01:47 PM
OFF TOPIC - MY MOM IS MEAN ASK Home Repair 0 August 24th 08 06:54 PM
OT (But on-topic as well) Prometheus Woodworking 16 January 21st 07 01:23 AM
Off Topic FS No Sweat Woodworking 4 December 18th 06 01:09 AM
new topic, off topic, about new topics [email protected] Woodworking 0 March 27th 05 02:05 PM