Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default drying wood

trying to find information on using dishwater soap in drying wood

any and all would be appreciated

thanks Ron
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article , ronjboucher wrote:
trying to find information on using dishwater soap in drying wood

any and all would be appreciated

thanks Ron

What did you find when you did a Google Groups search on this newsgroup?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

The method was developed by Ron Kent of Hawaii. He started doing it to
help with sanding Norfolk Island Pine. I use it. Take a mix of half
cheap brown hand dish washing soap, and half water. Soak bowls for 24
or more hours. I rinse them off after taking them out, you don't
really want the soap to dry on the wood as it will clog your sand
paper, but comes off easily with the eraser sticks. I turn thin green
wood to final thickness (1/4 to 3/8 inch), and let them dry and warp,
then sand and finish. The only thing the soap does is make the wood a
lot easier to sand out. I do wrap the outside of the bowl with a
couple of layers of newspaper, then secure it to the rim with some of
the plastic stretch film that you wrap around boxes on a pallet. Let
the film over lap on the inside of the bowl about an inch, and round
over your rims. Then cut out the paper on the inside of the bowl. They
are dry in about 10 days. Never tried it on thick turned bowls that
you return later.

robo hippy

drying wood Phisherman Woodworking 2 December 15th 07 07:29 PM
OK here goes all you could ever want to know about wood drying Tom Nie Woodturning 4 April 29th 06 02:18 PM
More on wood drying Peter Hyde Woodturning 7 April 24th 06 10:22 PM
drying wood Lee Woodworking 5 December 18th 05 03:44 AM
Drying wood Peter Woodturning 1 October 20th 03 01:54 AM