Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Dust collection question

How effective is using dust collection with a lathe? I would imagine that something like this would have to be used. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11312 Is there a better way?

Thanks
Ted
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Ted" wrote:

How effective is using dust collection with a lathe? I would imagine that
something like this would have to be used.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11312 Is there a better way?

You can strap a vacuum hose to the gouge and suck _chips_ right off it,
but most of the problematic _dust_ comes from sanding. So, treat the
general area of the lathe as a big downdraft table and get a dust
collector about 2 sizes "too big" if you want to be effective. Or wear a
mask and vacuum up the dust afterwards. Or position a large exhaust fan
behind the lathe and blow the dust outdoors (does not work well in cold
weather, or with fussy neighbors/spouses).

The major problem with the linked product is that it's only a 4" hose.
6" or 8" and a dust collector that can suck on a duct that big
effectively will work much better. As for the collection end, be a
woodworker and make one to fit your lathe and work, rather than buying a
hunk of plastic. The more you can enclose the work area (while still
being able to get in and work) the more effective dust collection will
be.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ted wrote:
How effective is using dust collection with a lathe? I would imagine that something like this would have to be used. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11312 Is there a better way?

Thanks
Ted

I use a 2 1/2 inch hose held alongside the gouge (does not work well
inside bowls) and held with one hand while sanding with the other. It
collects most of the forward thrown chips and curlies and nearly all
the sanding dust. I also have an air filtration system to help clean
any remaining dust from the air. There is hardly any dust settling in
the shop and I do a lot of turning and sanding on the lathe.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

The best cure for insomnia is to get a
lot of sleep.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Ted" wrote:

How effective is using dust collection with a lathe? I would imagine that
something like this would have to be used.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11312 Is there a better way?

Thanks
Ted

Sucking chips really doesn't work, I've tried. Sucking sanding dust
does, I use a very similar hood, behind the lathe as I sand the
underside of the "object"

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On May 25, 6:09*pm, "Ted" wrote:
How effective is using dust collection with a lathe? I would imagine that something like this would have to be used.http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11312Is there a better way?

Thanks
Ted

Here's an almost blow by blow of how I addressed the DC issue:
http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...ad.php?t=25792

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 25 May 2009 18:09:48 -0400, "Ted" wrote:

How effective is using dust collection with a lathe? I would imagine that something like this would have to be used. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11312 Is there a better way?

Thanks
Ted

I only use the DC for sanding, except for wood (like ironwood) that throws off
dust when turned..
If you could suck up the shavings, they'd just clog your DC hose..

I use a 4" hose fastened to an adjustable height stand.. An old cutoff stand
that used to have a roller on it..
It's behind the lathe and I can pretty much place the end of the hose wherever
the sanding dust is flying...
I added a swivel mount on the end of the hose a few months ago and really like
it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message , mac davis
writes

I only use the DC for sanding, except for wood (like ironwood) that throws off
dust when turned..
If you could suck up the shavings, they'd just clog your DC hose..

I use a 4" hose fastened to an adjustable height stand.. An old cutoff stand
that used to have a roller on it..
It's behind the lathe and I can pretty much place the end of the hose wherever
the sanding dust is flying...
I added a swivel mount on the end of the hose a few months ago and really like
it..

Until now I had always understood that a top turner adjusted the angle
and position of his tool, so that shaving miraculously ending in the
waste

My own set-up is a big DC using 4 inch hose to a trash can lid, other
side of the lid goes to collection point. The advantage of this set-up
is that if you get a big piece break and it goes down the tube, it dumps
into the trash can and not the impeller. I also found that it was easier
to empty, than trying to fit a new bag to the DC. It also tends to grade
the dust. Finest gets to the machine, larger in the trash can as it cant
be picked up again from the can.
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I use a 55 gallon food grade white plastic drum that has been modified
a bit. You can look on the Oneway site and get an idea. The more your
wood is enclosed by a hood, the more dust you collect, and you can
build a box out of just about anything. The dust collectors aren't
really made for collecting shavings. A 2 stage is better, either a
cone, or a trash can lid. You will be amazed at all the things you can
suck up which go right into the impellors. You can also update to a
pleated paper filter rather than the cloth ones. The same diameter
paper filter gives you several times the area for the exhaust to vent
through. Check out Oneida systems.
robo hippy

On May 26, 9:21*am, John wrote:
In message , mac davis
writes

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"robo hippy" wrote in message
I use a 55 gallon food grade white plastic drum that has been modified
a bit. You can look on the Oneway site and get an idea. The more your
wood is enclosed by a hood, the more dust you collect, and you can
build a box out of just about anything. The dust collectors aren't
really made for collecting shavings. A 2 stage is better, either a
cone, or a trash can lid. You will be amazed at all the things you can
suck up which go right into the impellors. You can also update to a
pleated paper filter rather than the cloth ones. The same diameter
paper filter gives you several times the area for the exhaust to vent
through. Check out Oneida systems.
robo hippy

=======================

speaking of dust collecting - I don't use one on the lathe (I just open the
doors and let it go outside), but I do need something on my beadblast
cabinet - so far I've made a "poor man's cyclone" out of some vent pipe and
a funnel - but what I'd really like to find is something about 1/8 HP with a
cyclone on the intake - and not loud - any ideas?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 26 May 2009 17:21:43 +0100, John wrote:

Until now I had always understood that a top turner adjusted the angle
and position of his tool, so that shaving miraculously ending in the
waste

Tried that and it's just not me...
I used to try to just direct the shaving away from ME and found that it was
affecting my cut/angle/etc...

I remember ol' George that claimed most of his shavings went into a trash bag..
It's amazing how many good tips and tricks I've learned here, but also how many
things I've tried that messed me up.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 26 May 2009 17:21:43 +0100, John wrote:

My own set-up is a big DC using 4 inch hose to a trash can lid, other
side of the lid goes to collection point. The advantage of this set-up
is that if you get a big piece break and it goes down the tube, it dumps
into the trash can and not the impeller. I also found that it was easier
to empty, than trying to fit a new bag to the DC. It also tends to grade
the dust. Finest gets to the machine, larger in the trash can as it cant
be picked up again from the can.
--
John

I wouldn't even consider using a DC without my (fiber drum) separator, Tom..
I empty my drum every month or 3, but haven't needed to empty the bag since I
moved to the new shop over 2 years ago..
I've also never had anything hit the impeller, which was my original reason for
building the separator..

Added note: I'd said earlier in the week that I only use the DC for sanding, not
turning.. WRONG!
I use it through the entire process on pens, but didn't realize that until I got
an order for some pens and started turning them..
Pens don't make large enough shavings to clog the hoses and the shavings that I
get when turning pens are not worth saving for the neighbors gardens..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill,
For 1/8 hp, the only solution I have would be a window fan. Not much
else out there that small, and the volume of air moved would be small.
It must be very temperate as in not much winter or summer where you
are to be able to open the doors and blow it all out.
robo hippy

On May 29, 7:37*am, mac davis wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ted wrote:
How effective is using dust collection with a lathe? I would imagine that something like this would have to be used. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11312 Is there a better way?

Thanks
Ted

Much like Mac Davis, the only effective way of containing Lathe "dust"
has been multi-faceted, involving a reasonably solid ceiling, a stougt
"shower curtain" approach to minimize the area involved, and a large
hose connected to the dust collector.

The shower curtain approach helps during roughing (when a dust collector
is useless) by containing the large chips and shavings. Later on, it
minimizes the volume of the "turning area" and allows a more efficient
use of a 5 or 6" hose connected as directly as possible to a 2HP+ dust
collector (cylcone) to take care of sanding dust. The combination
nearly eliminates the typical dust layer on everything in the rest of
the workshop, unless one forgets to start the DC.

Good Luck and Safe Turning, no matter what solution you try...

--Rick