Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Dust collection question

In message , mac davis
writes

I only use the DC for sanding, except for wood (like ironwood) that throws off
dust when turned..
If you could suck up the shavings, they'd just clog your DC hose..

I use a 4" hose fastened to an adjustable height stand.. An old cutoff stand
that used to have a roller on it..
It's behind the lathe and I can pretty much place the end of the hose wherever
the sanding dust is flying...
I added a swivel mount on the end of the hose a few months ago and really like
it..

Until now I had always understood that a top turner adjusted the angle
and position of his tool, so that shaving miraculously ending in the
waste

My own set-up is a big DC using 4 inch hose to a trash can lid, other
side of the lid goes to collection point. The advantage of this set-up
is that if you get a big piece break and it goes down the tube, it dumps
into the trash can and not the impeller. I also found that it was easier
to empty, than trying to fit a new bag to the DC. It also tends to grade
the dust. Finest gets to the machine, larger in the trash can as it cant
be picked up again from the can.
--
John