Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Dust collection question

"robo hippy" wrote in message
I use a 55 gallon food grade white plastic drum that has been modified
a bit. You can look on the Oneway site and get an idea. The more your
wood is enclosed by a hood, the more dust you collect, and you can
build a box out of just about anything. The dust collectors aren't
really made for collecting shavings. A 2 stage is better, either a
cone, or a trash can lid. You will be amazed at all the things you can
suck up which go right into the impellors. You can also update to a
pleated paper filter rather than the cloth ones. The same diameter
paper filter gives you several times the area for the exhaust to vent
through. Check out Oneida systems.
robo hippy

speaking of dust collecting - I don't use one on the lathe (I just open the
doors and let it go outside), but I do need something on my beadblast
cabinet - so far I've made a "poor man's cyclone" out of some vent pipe and
a funnel - but what I'd really like to find is something about 1/8 HP with a
cyclone on the intake - and not loud - any ideas?