Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default new use

I've got a '78 Yamaha street thumper and after some mods needed to richen
the mixture. One of the things that needed to be changed was to
take .05" off the bottom of the carb slide.

Nova chuck, spigot jaws (inside grip) and a couple of files - 10 minutes
from start to finish. Never thought my wood lathe would come in handy
for motorcycle repair :-).

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 22 May 2009 18:32:45 -0500, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I've got a '78 Yamaha street thumper and after some mods needed to richen
the mixture. One of the things that needed to be changed was to
take .05" off the bottom of the carb slide.

Nova chuck, spigot jaws (inside grip) and a couple of files - 10 minutes
from start to finish. Never thought my wood lathe would come in handy
for motorcycle repair :-).

Reminds me of the time that we used my Shopsmith to drill out a broken bolt on
my neighbor's Harley frame..
Sure wish I'd taken pictures of that one..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

mac davis wrote:
On Fri, 22 May 2009 18:32:45 -0500, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I've got a '78 Yamaha street thumper and after some mods needed to richen
the mixture. One of the things that needed to be changed was to
take .05" off the bottom of the carb slide.

Nova chuck, spigot jaws (inside grip) and a couple of files - 10 minutes
from start to finish. Never thought my wood lathe would come in handy
for motorcycle repair :-).

Reminds me of the time that we used my Shopsmith to drill out a broken bolt on
my neighbor's Harley frame..
Sure wish I'd taken pictures of that one..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Just got a Triumph Sprint ST, '02. No bags yet, but I need some. To
keep the bags off the exhaust and out of the spokes, I am thinking of
making a wooden frame.

Am I nuts?

scritch
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article , scritch wrote:

Just got a Triumph Sprint ST, '02. No bags yet, but I need some. To
keep the bags off the exhaust and out of the spokes, I am thinking of
making a wooden frame.

Am I nuts?

No, but you might want to fiberglass over it unless you are only ever
going to be out in the dry, dry, dry. At least a good number of coats of
spar varnish.

My as yet unrealized dream is cedar stripper fairings & hard bags (and
fenders and utility body on the truck). I've seen a truck bed done that
way, and those endlessly reposted wooden sports car pictures, plus
wooden bicycles from the ugly 2x4 on up to quite nice.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 23 May 2009 06:53:53 -0700, scritch wrote:

Just got a Triumph Sprint ST, '02. No bags yet, but I need some. To
keep the bags off the exhaust and out of the spokes, I am thinking of
making a wooden frame.

Am I nuts?

No, but you might want to consider a wire frame instead. A lot more
weather resistant.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On May 23, 9:53*am, scritch wrote:
Am I nuts?

Yes, but what does that have to do with anything?

Ain't you guys ever heard of the Woody cars? I guess I'm showing my
age here ;) Yeah, scritch will have to do a good job of finishing
and check it a lot, but it'd be beautiful, unusual and functional -
what more could you ask for?

Heck, make wooden BAGS! Some 1/8" Finnish birch Ply, a frame and wah
la, a thing of great beauty! Sort of like the wooden brief cases.
Or, how about a variation on the old steamer trunks, 6 layers (for
1/8") of veneer laminated over a single or double curve.

BrianC
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 23 May 2009 06:53:53 -0700, scritch wrote:

Just got a Triumph Sprint ST, '02. No bags yet, but I need some. To
keep the bags off the exhaust and out of the spokes, I am thinking of
making a wooden frame.

Am I nuts?

scritch

thick wall PVC???

Back in the "day", we used backpacks... they have a rigid back and needed little
or no extra support..