Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Live from Utah, it's day three

Yesterday I learned the UVU center has free WiFi, so, here I am
waiting for it do be dinner time

First rotation for me was Richard Raffan. on turned boxes, again this
was largely a rehash of the work I have already seen from him, so I
actually left and wandered about.

The second section was by Mike Mahoney, where he was turning a thin
walled bowl, and telling stories about the other presenters at the
Symposium. He had several good ones, but the best bit was as he was
getting to the end of the bowl, where it was scary thin, who starts
walking in but the presenters he was telling stories about, Hans
Weissflog Stuart Batty, Richard Raffan and several others I didn’t
recognize off hand. But they weren’t there to hear him tell stories,
they were there to see if they could watch him blow up the bowl. Along
with taunting him about how he was doing it and egging him into going
thinner.

Except he didn’t blow the bowl up.

The third rotation was Tom Edwards on methods of saving and rescuing
cracked or failed wood. Very interesting and useful

The final rotation was from Stuart on sharpening tools, it’s always
interesting getting another view point on how to, and how not to
sharpen tools.

Right now we are on the “pre-dinner” break. They will be serving us
rubber chicken (or some other delight), while we listen to the
presenters tell stores about each other.

Utah Symposium Day Zero Ralph[_10_] Woodturning 0 May 15th 09 05:34 AM
Utah Symposium Day Zero Ralph[_10_] Woodturning 0 May 14th 09 04:15 AM
Utah Symposium? Ralph[_10_] Woodturning 5 May 7th 09 07:12 PM
OT Utah mine cave-in mm Home Repair 32 August 15th 07 05:42 PM
should unswitched live should as live on a neon screwdriver? dave L UK diy 22 November 20th 03 12:43 PM