Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Utah Symposium Day Zero

The day’s events started with opening remarks by Mike Mahoney, and
short intro from each presenter and a few comments from Dale Nish.
This was followed by a light brunch, provided by the Symposium. During
the brunch and I had a long chat with Russ Fairchild, whom I knew was
originally from my area, but just how much I didn’t know until I
talked with him. His wife went to school at the “old” School that was
just about 100 yards from my home, and he knew the people that planted
the Apple trees in my and my neighbors yards, back from when it was a
working orchard.

My first rotation was from Curt Theobold, on the history of segmented
turning. The earliest piece he had been able to find was a stave built
mazer, from Scotland cira 1700. A very interesting session.

The 2nd session was from Richard Raffan on bowls. While this was
largely the same material that is in his DVD and Book(s) on Bowls,
there was one interesting happening. Some joker, and it had to be a
joker, put Rex Buringham’s personal tool sharpening station at this
rotation location. The same one the Richard and Dale Nish would be
using. The joke is, neither Richard nor Dale are what you call large
men, while Rex, well, his name fits. I didn’t get to see Dale trying
to sharpen, but Richard was on his toes, literally.

The 3rd session was by David Nittman on making a turned bowl look like
it was made by basket weaving. A subject I have been every interested
in and was thrilled to learn more about

The day ended with a Swap meet and a session from David Nittman and
Cindy Drozda on the creative process. I’m afraid I spent the entire
evening with the swap meet, and ended up with yet more wood…after
failing to bring any of the large Big Leaf Maple I could have sold.

Utah Symposium Day Zero Ralph[_10_] Woodturning 0 May 14th 09 04:15 AM
Utah Symposium? Ralph[_10_] Woodturning 5 May 7th 09 07:12 PM
OT Utah mine cave-in mm Home Repair 32 August 15th 07 05:42 PM
Did Anyone Attend the Utah Woodturning Symposium Fred Holder Woodturning 2 June 22nd 06 03:18 PM
Utah Woodturning Symposium F. Donald Hart Woodturning 1 January 11th 06 10:46 PM