Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Square Mahogany Bowl

This was my first attempt at turning a square. While it came out fine,
turning all that air, especially from the backside, was a study in horror!
lol I did manage to leave a little of my DNA on this one. pic is posted at
alt.binaries.pictures.woodturning

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 15 May 2009 0:37:15 -0500, Bob Crawford wrote
(in message ):

This was my first attempt at turning a square. While it came out fine,
turning all that air, especially from the backside, was a study in horror!
lol I did manage to leave a little of my DNA on this one. pic is posted at
alt.binaries.pictures.woodturning

I think it is a very attractive bowl. I have not done much in the way of
turning on phantom surfaces, but I can apeprciate the idea of a study in
horror. As for the sanding, was it done on the lathe (more horror) or
handwork off-lathe?

A tip of the kromer to all of you who do turning on phantom surfaces and
natural edges.

tom k.

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks Tom. It was an adventure making it. Left a small scar on one
knuckle.

The sanding was begun on the lathe and finished by hand. On the lathe, I
used a small kitchen sponge wrapped in my sandpaper to soften the bumpy ride
at 600 rpm. Because my lathe isn't reversible (don't I wish), the hand
sanding finished the back side of the rotation off the lathe. Turning the
front side of the thing wasn't all that terrible, but the four corners are
curved down and, working from the backside, things seemed much more
"invisible", thus the scarred knuckle.

Bob Crawford

"tom koehler" wrote in
message net.net...