Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default staved vase

About a year ago I came across a web gallery that had vases turned from
staves that were cut in a triangle shape. When turned the vase appeared as
if it had been turned off axis. I thought I book marked it, but somehow it
disappeared in the great bit bucket in the sky. Does anyone out there know
what I mean (I know that I didn't describe it very well), and where I can
find that site?

Thanks
Paul Gilbert
Dallas, TX

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I don't think these are a direct match to your description, but if you
follow links from these, especially the first one, you might find what
you are looking for.

The first one has some detailed instruction pages.

http://www.turnedwood.com/index.shtml

http://www.eskimoblueday.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mar 19, 5:53*pm, "Paul Gilbert" wrote:
About a year ago I came across a web gallery that had vases turned from
staves that were cut in a triangle shape. *When turned the vase appeared as
if it had been turned off axis. *I thought I book marked it, but somehow it
disappeared in the great bit bucket in the sky. *Does anyone out there know
what I mean (I know that I didn't describe it very well), and where I can
find that site?

Thanks
Paul Gilbert
Dallas, TX

I think this is what you're looking for:
http://turnedbygeorge.com/id66.html
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mar 19, 5:53*pm, "Paul Gilbert" wrote:
About a year ago I came across a web gallery that had vases turned from
staves that were cut in a triangle shape. *When turned the vase appeared as
if it had been turned off axis. *I thought I book marked it, but somehow it
disappeared in the great bit bucket in the sky. *Does anyone out there know
what I mean (I know that I didn't describe it very well), and where I can
find that site?

Thanks
Paul Gilbert
Dallas, TX

1st post didn't show up? I think this is what you're looking for:

http://turnedbygeorge.com/id66.html
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks, Turned by George is not the exact page I once saw, but it is what I
needed to get started.

I sat myself down and with the aid of a compass and triangle made some
drawings. Then sat to doing some calculations using Excel. My trigonometry
is a bit rusty - took that course in high school in '54, but I finally
managed to produce a spread sheet for 8 and 12 segment vessels. It could be
extended to any number of segments so long as the number divides without
remainder into 360.

If anyone is interested, I will gladly e-mail this to you. I am not very
proficient at sketchup or Visio, but can scan my paper drawings and attach
them.

Thanks
Paul Gilbert

"Paul Gilbert" wrote in message
About a year ago I came across a web gallery that had vases turned from
staves that were cut in a triangle shape. When turned the vase appeared
as if it had been turned off axis. I thought I book marked it, but
somehow it disappeared in the great bit bucket in the sky. Does anyone
out there know what I mean (I know that I didn't describe it very well),
and where I can find that site?

Thanks
Paul Gilbert
Dallas, TX

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default staved vase + some trick

I noted in the segmented ring glue up rubber bands were used ,I baught
severial large band clamps like you use on dryer vents.You can buy
several sizes and combind any number of them for your ring size.Just
glue and run the clamp up smug.
Hope this helps some one !!!
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974Tryke

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Just helped ME Jerry! Thanks!

Bob Crawford

"Jerry - OHIO" wrote in message
I noted in the segmented ring glue up rubber bands were used ,I baught
severial large band clamps like you use on dryer vents.You can buy
several sizes and combind any number of them for your ring size.Just
glue and run the clamp up smug.
Hope this helps some one !!!
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974Tryke

segmented vase Paul Gilbert[_2_] Woodturning 1 October 19th 08 02:11 AM
Some problems with my first vase Toller Woodturning 27 July 22nd 07 04:37 PM
Collapsible Vase? william kossack Woodturning 0 May 16th 07 02:34 PM
IKEBANA VASE J T Woodworking 2 August 16th 06 08:27 PM
New Vase Chuck Woodturning 8 December 19th 05 04:58 PM