Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Belts

On Mar 2, 8:19 am, Ecnerwal
wrote:
In article ,
"Bill Noble" wrote:

most belts are standard lengths and configurations - just go to the catalog
and get a part number - GATES is a good place to start

"Drifter" wrote in message
I'm trying to find a drive belt for my Turncrafter Pro. I was
disappointed to find PSI didn't sell them. Anyone have any sources?

Drifter

Or take the broken one to a decent autoparts or farm store, assuming
it's a typical V belt (not being specifically acquainted with what a
turncrafter pro is, and whether it has a weird drive belt). [Google
ensues] Penn state says 5 pulley steps, so I'm guessing it is a V belt.
Gack - yet another rip-off of (and paint color for) that bass-ackwards
tailstock mini-lathe design - whoever came up with that benighted piece
of crap first should be flattered (they are more probably deep in debt
to their laywers, but the blatant copies just keep coming...)

I'm not sure if the pro and the pro VS use the same belt, mine has a 3
step pulley, but it's one of those multi-groove belts rather than a
standard v belt.

mcmaster has them under "ultra-flex ribbed" under v-belts, though I
don't know if they have the right size.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 11:57:57 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Mar 2, 8:19 am, Ecnerwal
wrote:

"Drifter" wrote in message
[...]

Hey guys ... would a link belt be a good choice in this case ?
I'm not familiar with this lathe? I'm curious as to how they work on a
lathe. Anyone have any experience with them?

Lenny
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have a link belt on my wood lathe and a link belt on my
metal lathe. Both different sizes - but they, once worked in (short time),
are great. No tearing apart 100 year babbitt or bearings.

The learning with them is put it on as tight as you can - the strong
belt will bend and match your cones/pulley. Once it does, it is time
to take out a link or two. The belt being compressed into the V need
a shorter length.

As I recall, I use 1/2" on the 60 some year old wood lathe with a 1/2 HP
motor on it - (in a 4 or 5 HP body :-) ) and a 3/4" on my metal lathe.

They have been used for 8-10 years now. The belts were designed for
conveyor belts so power is their business.

Martin

wrote:
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 11:57:57 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Mar 2, 8:19 am, Ecnerwal

Belts Drifter Woodturning 8 March 3rd 09 06:27 AM
K-type v-belts Michael Koblic Metalworking 1 October 18th 08 10:50 PM
JVC VCR belts Tom Del Rosso[_3_] Electronics Repair 12 May 19th 08 08:24 AM
source for VCR belts Dave Electronics Repair 6 August 13th 07 03:09 PM
Link Belts Tom Dougall Woodturning 2 July 30th 07 07:14 AM