Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default AAW renewal question

Help me decide if I should renew this year, they're bugging me to re-up..

Since moving to Mexico a few years ago, I'm no longer in a turning club..
I have no use for any insurance, classes or such that they might provide...
I read the magazine, but like it less every issue, as to me it's more of an art
gallery brochure than a wood turning magazine..

I do, however, have the AAW logo on my business cards and mentioned on my web
site..
Don't know if that impresses anyone here in Baja, but the logo and just
belonging to AAW is sort of a habit..

Any opinions out there of what you're getting for $45 or more a year, besides a
magazine?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

mac davis wrote:
Help me decide if I should renew this year, they're bugging me to re-up..

Since moving to Mexico a few years ago, I'm no longer in a turning club..
I have no use for any insurance, classes or such that they might provide...
I read the magazine, but like it less every issue, as to me it's more of an art
gallery brochure than a wood turning magazine..

I do, however, have the AAW logo on my business cards and mentioned on my web
site..
Don't know if that impresses anyone here in Baja, but the logo and just
belonging to AAW is sort of a habit..

Any opinions out there of what you're getting for $45 or more a year, besides a
magazine?

I took a year off from membership a while back for pretty much the same
reasons. We didn't have a club here for the longest time but a year or
so ago one formed so I had to re-up. Part of the by-laws.

I previously was a member mostly for the magazine. Back in '97 when I
first got into turning they were close to the only thing available. Now
there's a number of good magazines. Not that I subscribe to them.
After I read them I never want to throw them away, but I also rarely go
back and reread them so they're just more clutter.

I guess if you're planning on hitting the symposium when it comes around
to the west coast you might recoup the cost of membership w/the
registration discount. Or part of it at least. Otherwise I'd say take
your $45 and print up new business cards.

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

Time to start (if it does not exist) the MAW (or perhaps Association de
Tornero de Mexico - ATM) - dues 45 pesos a year...headquarters, your
house, Baja.

Make up a nice Aztec-ish logo and print new business cards. ;-)

Warning - my Spanish language skills are non-existent.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I will renew this year again. I haven't renewed my subscription to
Fine Woodworking. I don't belong to the AAW for the magazine, or for
that matter suscribe to any turning magazine because of what is in
them. Heck, I learn more from the turning forums than I do from the
magazines. I support them because they support the art of turning. For
a lot of beginners, it is one of the best places to learn, and the
list of clubs alone is worth any costs associated with the magazines.
If you have ever seen the kids program at the AAW, that alone is worth
it. Supposedly they are going to orient more towards turning in the
magazine this coming year. We shall see.
robo hippy

Hey Mac, going to Albuquerque? I am not sure. Not really affordable
this year.

On Feb 6, 10:49*am, Ecnerwal
wrote:
In article ,
*mac davis wrote:

Time to start (if it does not exist) the MAW (or perhaps Association de
Tornero de Mexico - ATM) - dues 45 pesos a year...headquarters, your
house, Baja.

Make up a nice Aztec-ish logo and print new business cards. ;-)

Warning - my Spanish language skills are non-existent.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Feb 6, 12:51*pm, mac davis wrote:
Help me decide if I should renew this year, they're bugging me to re-up..

Betty Scarpino is assuming the editorship of the magazine and they
plan to put out 6 issues/yr vs the current 4 - the content will also
change - - - so I think the value will be going up.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 09:26:03 -0900, Kevin Miller wrote:

Yeah, I'm thinking you're right, Kevin..
$45 isn't much, but no use spending it if I don't need the membership..
Never been to a symposium and doubt that I'll ever get the urge.. lol

mac davis wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 13:49:40 -0500, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

Time to start (if it does not exist) the MAW (or perhaps Association de
Tornero de Mexico - ATM) - dues 45 pesos a year...headquarters, your
house, Baja.

Well, I don't want to get involved with a group again especially START one.. Too
old and happy for that..

Oh.. just FYI, it would be just under 700 pesos, at today's rate.. (little under
15 to 1)
Make up a nice Aztec-ish logo and print new business cards. ;-)

Warning - my Spanish language skills are non-existent.

Mine too, pretty much, but not needed here... and the wife's Spanish is getting
pretty good, so it's easy for me to be lazy about learning..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 21:41:54 -0800 (PST), robo hippy
wrote:

I will renew this year again. I haven't renewed my subscription to
Fine Woodworking. I don't belong to the AAW for the magazine, or for
that matter suscribe to any turning magazine because of what is in
them. Heck, I learn more from the turning forums than I do from the
magazines. I support them because they support the art of turning. For
a lot of beginners, it is one of the best places to learn, and the
list of clubs alone is worth any costs associated with the magazines.
If you have ever seen the kids program at the AAW, that alone is worth
it. Supposedly they are going to orient more towards turning in the
magazine this coming year. We shall see.
robo hippy

You working the guilt angle here, Reed? ;-]
Poor kids won't get turning class unless you spend the $45 bucks... Damn..

Hey Mac, going to Albuquerque? I am not sure. Not really affordable this year.

Watz in Albuquerque?
If ya go, stop here on the way back!
BRING WOOD

On Feb 6, 10:49*am, Ecnerwal
wrote:
In article ,
*mac davis wrote:

Time to start (if it does not exist) the MAW (or perhaps Association de
Tornero de Mexico - ATM) - dues 45 pesos a year...headquarters, your
house, Baja.

Make up a nice Aztec-ish logo and print new business cards. ;-)

Warning - my Spanish language skills are non-existent.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 03:25:16 -0800 (PST), hwahl wrote:

On Feb 6, 12:51*pm, mac davis wrote:
Help me decide if I should renew this year, they're bugging me to re-up..

Betty Scarpino is assuming the editorship of the magazine and they
plan to put out 6 issues/yr vs the current 4 - the content will also
change - - - so I think the value will be going up.

Any idea what changes the content will change?

Seems like I used to get some good tips and ideas but lately it seems more about
carving, painting and putting holes in things than turning..

I'm probably going to send the money in.. My wife just told me that she enjoys
the magazine.. (for the same reason that I don't)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

hwahl wrote:
Betty Scarpino is assuming the editorship of the magazine and they
plan to put out 6 issues/yr vs the current 4 - the content will also
change - - - so I think the value will be going up.

It will be interesting to see the direction it goes. It's a hard
balance to run a turning mag - or any woodworking mag for that matter -
w/o repeating yourself. If you put in artsy stuff, it's out of range of
a good percentage of your readers to actually do. If you put in basic
projects, a good percentage of your readers are already past that point.
Quite a quandry. I don't envy the editor!

I think some product reviews/comparisons would be great - seems like we
never see any of those. Of course, the minute you write one you've
painted a big target on your back!

Here's hoping Betty the best of luck...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 21:41:54 -0800 (PST), robo hippy

Hey Mac, going to Albuquerque? I am not sure. Not really affordable this

year.
Watz in Albuquerque?

June 26-28 in Albuquerque is the AAW national Symposium.
It's worth experiencing at least once. It's great to put faces to all of
the turners we "meet" on-line.

Matt Heffron
Ex-president, Inland Woodturners

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"mac davis" wrote in message
Help me decide if I should renew this year, they're bugging me to re-up..

Since moving to Mexico a few years ago,

snip

As long as you're down there, make sure they respect your rights. Don't pay
one peso in taxes. Demand free health care for your whole family and free
education for your children. Don't bother learning Spanish. Make them change
all signs to English. Make them change half of their radio and TV broadcasts
to English. Sneak every friend and family member you can find into the
country. Let's see how THEY like it.

B.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

mac davis wrote:
On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 09:26:03 -0900, Kevin Miller wrote:

Yeah, I'm thinking you're right, Kevin..
$45 isn't much, but no use spending it if I don't need the membership..
Never been to a symposium and doubt that I'll ever get the urge.. lol

I wish I could go every year. They're a blast. Been to two - '99 and
'07 plus the Utah symposium in '97.

If one comes anywhere near your neck of the woods, I definitely
recommend it. Just leave the checkbook at home. The vendor floor show
can be rather tempting.

Unfortunately it's a bit spendy getting to 'em from here. Especially
since the family seems to want to go on vacation too. They're not too
wild about watching woodturners, but they're always glad to be getting
out of Dodge...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://counter.li.org
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Turning magazines are really difficult to produce, as said. Just
imagine how out of balance they are after chucked on to the lathe -
the pages straining in all directions, the woosh of the paper and the
danger of paper cut! Makes you shudder.
On a serious note, I subscribed half a year ago but stated 2009 as the
year of membership. When do you guys expect the first issue out?
Max
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

now, there is a good project for your wood turning club - seriously - glue
up AAW magazines, and make a bowl or something out of the result - if done
right, it could be interesting

"Max63" wrote in message
Turning magazines are really difficult to produce, as said. Just
imagine how out of balance they are after chucked on to the lathe -
the pages straining in all directions, the woosh of the paper and the
danger of paper cut! Makes you shudder.
On a serious note, I subscribed half a year ago but stated 2009 as the
year of membership. When do you guys expect the first issue out?
Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 14:53:13 -0800, "Matt Heffron"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 21:41:54 -0800 (PST), robo hippy

Hey Mac, going to Albuquerque? I am not sure. Not really affordable this

year.
Watz in Albuquerque?

June 26-28 in Albuquerque is the AAW national Symposium.
It's worth experiencing at least once. It's great to put faces to all of
the turners we "meet" on-line.

Matt Heffron
Ex-president, Inland Woodturners

Ahh... thought it might be something like that...
Been there, done that in 30 years of real estate.. sort of burned out on any
meeting involving more that 5 or 6 people..

renewal windows Frank[_5_] Home Repair 3 October 2nd 07 12:18 PM
wood renewal products? homi Home Repair 3 July 3rd 07 08:50 PM
Windows, Renewal by Andersen? [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 31st 06 06:42 PM
Renewal By Andersen Gary K. Home Repair 11 October 17th 06 02:15 PM
Renewal by Andersen [email protected] Home Repair 6 June 14th 06 05:14 PM