Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TWW TWW is offline

Default napkin holder

I was playing with the idea of making a napkin holder (not rings) with
a lathe. The result would be round but yet hold the napkins
vertically. Part of the thought was to make the holder look like two
circles standing vertically then attached on the bottom with a block
of some sort to hold the circles together. Then I wondered if anyone
had ever been able to make a napkin holder of one piece of wood and
perhaps cut the center out with a saw after attaching a base at the
bottom. Anyone every tried anything like this or know of any plans or
pictures? Searching this group brings up lots of things on napkin
rings but I did not see anything on holders. Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sep 16, 6:57*am, TWW wrote:

Anyone every tried anything like this or know of any plans or
pictures? Searching this group brings up lots of things on napkin
rings but I did not see anything on holders. Thanks.

I think that was enough information to be entirely confusing. I think
your best bet would be to post a drawing somewhere that give a
rendition of what you are thinking, then I'll bet you will get a lot
of help.

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sep 16, 4:13 pm, "
wrote:
On Sep 16, 6:57 am, TWW wrote:

Anyone every tried anything like this or know of any plans or
pictures? Searching this group brings up lots of things on napkin
rings but I did not see anything on holders. Thanks.

I think that was enough information to be entirely confusing. I think
your best bet would be to post a drawing somewhere that give a
rendition of what you are thinking, then I'll bet you will get a lot
of help.

I understood. Think clamshell. He wants a big disk with a slot in it
that doesn't go all the way through.

Hot glue to a block, or to a jig that rides the table saw fence, and
cut in a couple passes to max depth. If that isn't deep enough,
similar setup on the band saw, but good luck getting in there to clean
it up.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TWW TWW is offline

A picture is worth a bunch of words and these Usenets are all words.
There is a crude picture on the September 16th entry for the blog
http://warpedwoodturner.blogspot.com/

I probably should have said I was thinking of a 6" 'yoyo' with the
center axle (right word?) about 1" in diameter. The area the 'string'
would go in would be about 1" wide (as would the axle be 1" wide as
well as the 1" in diameter already mentioned). The walls of the yoyo
would be perhaps 3/8" thick. It has been nearly 50 years since I had
a yoyo so I've forgotten some of the terms.

(The 'clamshell' comment catches the concept of what I was trying to
describe much better than how I first said it.)

Then you take the yoyo and glue a base to it or in it. Finally, you
cut the axle away. I was thinking a hand saw would do that. What is
left would be a napkin holder capable of holding 1" of napkins held
vertically. The wood on both sides would also match.

So that was what the initial post should have said. Napkin holders do
not sound like mainstream lathe projects which is why I was curious if
anyone in this group had done anything similar.

Thanks for the replies.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sep 16, 5:48*pm, TWW wrote:
[...]

Take a disk of wood approximately 6 inches in diameter and 1-1/2" to
2" thick. Mount if between centers and round over the edges to a nice
curve. Then using a heavy duty parting tool or a 1/2" beading and
parting tool, cut a slot one inch wide down to about a one inch center
diameter. Cut as clean as possible, because it will be difficult to
sand in that slot. Glue the two sides to the base and hand saw out the
center piece.

Another possibility is to use two boards and a one or two inch dowel
that is glued between the boards. I would drill a shallow hole in the
center of each to accept the dowel. Make the dowel of the proper
length to give the spacing that you need. Use spacer boards on each
side of the dowel while it is being glued. Then mount the assembly
between centers and turn the outside to suit. Then glue to your base
board and saw out the dowel. This keeps you from having to sand a
space that is hard to get to.

Good luck. Sounds like an interesting project.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sep 16, 7:57*am, TWW wrote:
I was playing with the idea of making a napkin holder (not rings) with
a lathe. The result would be round but yet hold the napkins
vertically.

How about turning 2 disks about 6" in diameter with a design that
allows finishing both sides, cut off a flat on the edge of each using
bandsaw or tablesaw.
Then turn a base about 3 - 4" in diameter and glue/pin the flat of
the disks to the base.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Why not just hot glue two boards about 3/4" thick by 6" square together.
First finish sand the inside of the gluing. Glue with a spot at center and
at one end. Mark the end with the glue spot. Turn it round, sand and finish.
Turn another disc for the base. Insert the end of a chisel at the maked spot
on the glue up and rap with a mallet. This will separate the discs and andy
marks fromthe chisel will be removed as a flat for gluing are cut on the
disks. pin and glue to the base with white or yellow glue and you are done.

Alternately, use a screw chuck to turn each of the discs. The glue up will
hide the hole.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"hwahl" wrote in message
On Sep 16, 7:57 am, TWW wrote:
I was playing with the idea of making a napkin holder (not rings) with
a lathe. The result would be round but yet hold the napkins
vertically.

How about turning 2 disks about 6" in diameter with a design that
allows finishing both sides, cut off a flat on the edge of each using
bandsaw or tablesaw.
Then turn a base about 3 - 4" in diameter and glue/pin the flat of
the disks to the base.

Pen holder Edwin Pawlowski Woodworking Plans and Photos 11 April 16th 08 04:55 PM
Worklight holder Louis Ohland Metalworking 0 September 20th 07 02:25 PM
DACHSHUND CD HOLDER J T Woodworking 4 February 28th 06 02:57 PM
CHISEL HOLDER J T Woodworking 0 January 26th 05 05:12 PM