Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Sales and turned object provenance

In a past life I moonlighted in a hallmark store in a mall. Among the many
useless things that we sold were "Precious Moments" (cartoonish pastel
figurines). I knew enough about the product line to blather on for a good
five minutes to customers. What I found was that product info/customer
education is a surprisingly effective sales tool.

Fast forward 18 years.

I have an opportinity to put a few a few bowls on sale through a local
"antique" dealer with a modest "gallery".

Since I will not be there blather on about the product, would it be
worthwhile making up a business-card-sized write-up of the species,
date/location of harvest? I think I will be aimed more at the "art
collector" than the "salad eater". I suppose that you require something like
serial numbers to keep the right cards with the right bowls

So, have any of you ever tried that, and did you find it effective?

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I've created a card that goes along with the bowl that details information
about me (not so much about the bowl). I started this when I sold some bowls
to Mammoth Cave NP and they requested I create something to inform the
customer of who I was. Information I've included on the card includes name,
general address (mainly to show that I live near Mammoth Cave and that I am
a local craftsperson), brief information about where I get the wood (most is
rescued from someone's woodpile and to this day I have not cut a tree for
purpose of turning), and generally any other brief description of who I am
and my love for all things wood.
Good luck,
JD (Kentucky)

--
He that will make a good use of any part
of his life must allow a large portion of it

"StephenM" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

A little some thing about the artist would be helpful in a gallery
situation. You could include how most of what you use is fire wood,
but you get to it before it is split up. The only time I do some thing
like that for a particular tree is if it had any historic value. Other
than that, most of it is fire wood.
robo hippy

"StephenM" wrote in message

[...]

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

the local gallery that sells my stuff tells me that the notes I write about
each piece help sales. The notes say something about the wood (local wood)
and if appropriate the "inspiration" behind the piece, expressed in suitably
humanistic language. eschew technical verbiage

"StephenM" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 13:55:31 -0400, "StephenM"
wrote:

[...]

I use a business card (computer generated) that's headed "Certificate of
Authenticity"
Body is something like "This xxxxxxxxxx (walnut bowl, ironwood vase, etc) was
handcrafted by Mac Davis of Baja Woodcraft, Baja California, MX"
On the bottom left of the card is the item number, and space to the right of
that for my signature..
We use 1/2" round removable labels for the price, usually on the back of the
card, depending on where and how the work is displayed..

The number matches the one that my wife burns onto the bottom of the piece,
along with the year..
More marketing that ego, it gives the impression of buying a "numbered piece" by
a "known" artist..

The nice thing about a business card format, besides the card stock being easy
to use, it that they also fit well in pen boxes..

I've found that some people are interested in what wood and where it came from,
but the majority of the buyers, as opposed to the lookers, either like a piece
and buy it, or they don't..
It could be 1,000 year old bog oak, fresh cut pine or aluminum.. if they like it
they buy it..YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Aug 1, 12:55*pm, "StephenM" wrote:
[...]

Sort of. With each piece that I send to a gallery, I prepare a short
"blurb" (keyed to the stock number on the piece) telling a bit about
the wood, a comment o care and a sentence about me. If you would like
to see a sample, contact me off group and I will be happy to send

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

Provenance Tom Watson Woodworking 0 May 22nd 08 11:56 AM
Is a pressurized air object heavier? Joseph Meehan Home Repair 0 October 28th 05 12:20 PM
What is this object? Andrew Metalworking 11 May 1st 05 01:04 AM
I want to mold an object Jeff R. Metalworking 3 January 10th 05 01:07 AM