Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JD[_2_] JD[_2_] is offline

Default Sales and turned object provenance

I've created a card that goes along with the bowl that details information
about me (not so much about the bowl). I started this when I sold some bowls
to Mammoth Cave NP and they requested I create something to inform the
customer of who I was. Information I've included on the card includes name,
general address (mainly to show that I live near Mammoth Cave and that I am
a local craftsperson), brief information about where I get the wood (most is
rescued from someone's woodpile and to this day I have not cut a tree for
purpose of turning), and generally any other brief description of who I am
and my love for all things wood.
Good luck,
JD (Kentucky)

--
He that will make a good use of any part
of his life must allow a large portion of it

"StephenM" wrote in message
In a past life I moonlighted in a hallmark store in a mall. Among the many
useless things that we sold were "Precious Moments" (cartoonish pastel
figurines). I knew enough about the product line to blather on for a good
five minutes to customers. What I found was that product info/customer
education is a surprisingly effective sales tool.

Fast forward 18 years.

I have an opportinity to put a few a few bowls on sale through a local
"antique" dealer with a modest "gallery".

Since I will not be there blather on about the product, would it be
worthwhile making up a business-card-sized write-up of the species,
date/location of harvest? I think I will be aimed more at the "art
collector" than the "salad eater". I suppose that you require something
like serial numbers to keep the right cards with the right bowls

So, have any of you ever tried that, and did you find it effective?

Thanks,

Steve