Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Tool Length

Now is it just me, or does size really matter ?

(OK Enough of the jokes)

Turners, are of all different shapes and sizes, so it makes sense we all
have different needs with tools. Whilst turning a bowl the other day, it
came to me that I would be comfortable with a tool about 5 inches longer
than that which I had. This prompted me to look at the ergonomics of the
tool in question and my posture, so rather than use the tool, I put it
down, closed my eyes and assumed the posture I would take for using the
tool as if I were to be explaining it to another person, but without a
tool to hand. Amazingly it was 5 inches longer than the tool I had been
using. I noticed also that my right arm was perpendicular to that of the
tool shaft. I then did the same experiment with several other tools,
right down to my micro set, where for me I found the tool needed to be
about 2 inches longer to allow me to hold the tool comfortably. I am
assuming that these natural positions for holding the tools, and that
may provide the least fatigue for the body, and most comfort.

Have you closed your eyes, pretended a tool in your hands, then opened
your eyes and measured the distance from outside of left to outside of
right, then added a bit for the overhang of the tool rest?

Maybe I need to re-handle all my tools just to suit me, but before I do,
has anyone else noticed this? Looked at the ergonomics further? I know
there are those out there who would say that tool manufacturers do, but
I would disagree. They have looked at it from their point of view,
probably using the designers body as the template.

Ergonomics are a wonderful concept, but how many of you remember the
requirement in the late 80's early 90's that a computer monitor should
be at eye level, with the body sitting upright? Now take a look at the
modern LCD panel that seems to have taken over the world, most users
have them back on the desk with screen tilted up so their head is
forward and down, straining their neck, throwing out all those ideas for
improving things for the user.

--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi John
What are we turning ??
Certainly I also like a long handled tool when roughing out a bowl,
but that's hardly what I would use turning a goblet or box, so yes
there's an advantage with a longer handle most times, but it's not
always feasible.
I drilled a few 1" round steel rods for handles, all have 2 sizes for
different size tools, I used them like that for a while, but added a
reenforced plastic pressure hose to then later, as the tools felt cold
in the winter time, and I find them more comfortable now for the added
thickness and also for it not giving me cold hands in the winter.
I have a couple of photo albums where you can see my posture while
turning large bowls, have a look if interested.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum26.html

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum27.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Seeing that I am bigger than most ( 6 ft tall, and even if I was
skinny, it would be 190 lbs), bigger, longer, and heavier tools just
feel better in my hands. I can make just as dainty of cuts with my big
tools as I can with smaller ones. Besides, with bigger tools, I can
reach out farther off the tool rest with no vibration.
robo hippy

On Jul 7, 10:12*am, John wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message
,
" writes
Hi John
What are we turning ??
Certainly I also like a long handled tool when roughing out a bowl,
but that's hardly what I would use turning a goblet or box, so yes
there's an advantage with a longer handle most times, but it's not
always feasible.
I drilled a few 1" round steel rods for handles, all have 2 sizes for
different size tools, I used them like that for a while, but added a
reenforced plastic pressure hose to then later, as the tools felt cold
in the winter time, and I find them more comfortable now for the added
thickness and also for it not giving me cold hands in the winter.
I have a couple of photo albums where you can see my posture while
turning large bowls, have a look if interested.

Hi Leo ,
its no specific item being turned, it can be from a 1 inch goblet to a
14 inch Bowl
What I had been noticing is that for each task being performed and for
each tool, there seemed to be a natural and relaxed position for the
body, and that the handle was never long enough in my case. If the
handle was too short for the tool I found I was tending to grip tighter
to the handle too

Using the tool with the standard handle, made me feel as though I was
huddled around it, and therefore my movement was cramped, and not as
flowing as it should be.

Looking at most of your pictures you appear to have your right arm
perpendicular to the tool and the tool length is quite long, with your
stance appearing relaxed.

Maybe this is all part of getting the right tool and position to suit
your lathe. In my case, I raised my lathe 7 inches so that it was a
comfortable position to myself. With the standard position I was raising
my shoulders to often to get the tool in the correct position, which
ended up causing fatigue
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Another difference, I noticed that Leo has his right hand down low,
and the other hand up higher, with the tool at an angle. For me, I
hold the tool level, with the handle along and under my fore arm. Just
what works for me.
robo hippy
On Jul 8, 12:43*am, John wrote:
In message
,
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 07:28:30 -0700 (PDT), robo hippy
wrote:

Another difference, I noticed that Leo has his right hand down low,
and the other hand up higher, with the tool at an angle. For me, I
hold the tool level, with the handle along and under my fore arm. Just
what works for me.
robo hippy

And, you have a well developed turning muscle, Reed...

I'd guess that the skinny folks have to make more adjustments to get the same
leverage.. ;-]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Tenon Length Tanus Woodworking 8 February 4th 08 12:09 AM
Air hose length. tiredofspam Woodworking 18 January 3rd 08 05:37 PM
LSV needed, but has to be the same length as a TRV. [email protected] UK diy 2 October 23rd 05 05:49 PM
How do you cut off Cobalt tool bits to length? Clark Magnuson Metalworking 6 January 24th 05 06:30 AM
Cut to length Cables - B&Q :::Jerry:::: UK diy 43 November 10th 04 12:16 AM