Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Shipping Wood around the world

We all know Arch, likes to muse on various thoughts, now here is one for
Arch.

Mac recently mentioned the movement of Ironwood, because it is an
endangered species, but what about those not endangered ?

There are many species of wood out there in different countries or on
different continents that we would like to turn, but how many of us know
the regulations for Importing this wood?

Do we care ? Do we understand the penalties, not just in fines,
imprisonment, but the danger to the environment around us due to a new
disease or bugs that the piece of wood we import is carrying ?

Will or could our 1 piece of wood really matter ?

I see everyday on Ebay sellers of wood much of which is not Kiln Dried
selling blanks, and even branches, and offering to ship anywhere in the
world . Do they realise the risks they are taking, as it is more than
likely that their customers are un-informed on the matter.

Just a little food for thought
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

John,

The restrictions are also within these United States. South Carolina and
Kentucky, for instance, have bans on outside woods coming into their
states. In Kentucky, they are trying to guard against introducing the
Emerald Ash Borer. Not sure about South Carolina.

In the post prior to this one, I commented on two pieces of wood I had
brought back with me. Did I consider what I could be bringing back with the
wood? Actually, I did. I looked the wood over very closely, examined it for
any insect damage, and stripped the bark from the pieces before packing them
up. I know, that doesn't mean I didn't bring a hitchhiker along with the
wood, but I did consider the possibilities.

Considering the amount of wood blanks brought into the country, versus the
number of shipping containers brought into the country, I'd be more inclined
to believe that most of the foreign insects we have today were transported
here legally as hitch hikers. The ebay sellers aren't sending huge
quantities of wood to the US, they are (in most cases) stipping the wood
down to the bare bones (meaning they are sending a bandsawed bowl blank that
has been wax sealed), and if they want repeat business, they should inform
the buyer of any insect damage that might exist on the blank prior to
purchase.

Your questions are valid, but I'm not entimologist (spell?) it seems it
would take more than 1 or 2 hitch hikers in a 6" bowl blank to create a new
US epidemic. Perhaps if I were purchasing a 30" log that was infested I
would be creating a problem. There just isn't enough population of an insect
being introduced with a bowl blank to be of concern.

My thoughts,
JD (Kentucky)

--
He that will make a good use of any part
of his life must allow a large portion of it

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message , JD
writes
[...]

Hi JD,

I had been considering this for sometime as I have been looking for
interesting species ( almost invariably from outside the UK) at decent
prices, and it was actually your post that reminded me. The reason I
brought it up, is here in the UK, unless you have a licence to import,
and there is documentation back to the mill etc., wood will, if found,
be confiscated on landing, and destroyed. IIRC part of the requirement
is no bark and correctly kiln dried.

Maybe part of the issue is the devastation we had years ago from Dutch
Elm disease. And I recently heard that there as a disease affecting
Horse Chestnut, meaning affected trees may need to be destroyed.

When a couple of years ago I was importing machinery from Michigan, the
packing crates all had to have appropriate documentation, due to the
fear of introducing and disease or insects.

As to how many insects , I wonder. If you take the Adam and Eve scenario
to be true, look at the infestation we have caused to this planet
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"John" wrote in message
[...]

As an retired entomologist, I can tell you that even one or two eggs in a
piece of wood can cause harm. The USDA APHIS works very hard to avoid these
problem. No I didn't work for them . Just had to deal with them on some
projects. Most cargo containers that could be carrying a suspected problem
are fumigated just before they leave port and arrive here safe. If I were
going to bring in a small piece of wood from a foreign land I would try to
microwave it, and boil then freeze it if possible, but I would microwave it
for sure. USDA APHIS web site is http://www.aphis.usda.gov/about_aphis/ if
you want to learn more