Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Shipping Wood around the world

We all know Arch, likes to muse on various thoughts, now here is one for
Arch.

Mac recently mentioned the movement of Ironwood, because it is an
endangered species, but what about those not endangered ?

There are many species of wood out there in different countries or on
different continents that we would like to turn, but how many of us know
the regulations for Importing this wood?

Do we care ? Do we understand the penalties, not just in fines,
imprisonment, but the danger to the environment around us due to a new
disease or bugs that the piece of wood we import is carrying ?

Will or could our 1 piece of wood really matter ?

I see everyday on Ebay sellers of wood much of which is not Kiln Dried
selling blanks, and even branches, and offering to ship anywhere in the
world . Do they realise the risks they are taking, as it is more than
likely that their customers are un-informed on the matter.

Just a little food for thought
--
John