Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Shipping Wood around the world

In message , JD
writes
John,

The restrictions are also within these United States. South Carolina
and Kentucky, for instance, have bans on outside woods coming into
their states. In Kentucky, they are trying to guard against introducing
the Emerald Ash Borer. Not sure about South Carolina.

In the post prior to this one, I commented on two pieces of wood I had
brought back with me. Did I consider what I could be bringing back with
the wood? Actually, I did. I looked the wood over very closely,
examined it for any insect damage, and stripped the bark from the
pieces before packing them up. I know, that doesn't mean I didn't bring
a hitchhiker along with the wood, but I did consider the possibilities.

Considering the amount of wood blanks brought into the country, versus
the number of shipping containers brought into the country, I'd be more
inclined to believe that most of the foreign insects we have today were
transported here legally as hitch hikers. The ebay sellers aren't
sending huge quantities of wood to the US, they are (in most cases)
stipping the wood down to the bare bones (meaning they are sending a
bandsawed bowl blank that has been wax sealed), and if they want repeat
business, they should inform the buyer of any insect damage that might
exist on the blank prior to purchase.

Your questions are valid, but I'm not entimologist (spell?) it seems it
would take more than 1 or 2 hitch hikers in a 6" bowl blank to create a
new US epidemic. Perhaps if I were purchasing a 30" log that was
infested I would be creating a problem. There just isn't enough
population of an insect being introduced with a bowl blank to be of
concern.

My thoughts,
JD (Kentucky)

Hi JD,

I had been considering this for sometime as I have been looking for
interesting species ( almost invariably from outside the UK) at decent
prices, and it was actually your post that reminded me. The reason I
brought it up, is here in the UK, unless you have a licence to import,
and there is documentation back to the mill etc., wood will, if found,
be confiscated on landing, and destroyed. IIRC part of the requirement
is no bark and correctly kiln dried.

Maybe part of the issue is the devastation we had years ago from Dutch
Elm disease. And I recently heard that there as a disease affecting
Horse Chestnut, meaning affected trees may need to be destroyed.

When a couple of years ago I was importing machinery from Michigan, the
packing crates all had to have appropriate documentation, due to the
fear of introducing and disease or insects.

As to how many insects , I wonder. If you take the Adam and Eve scenario
to be true, look at the infestation we have caused to this planet
--
John