Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Is pen making too easy?

I don't mean to offend anyone by this post but I'm not sure
I understand the driving force behind pen making. The reason
I am posting is that I was given an old lathe a month or so
ago and I've about got it ready to run again. I was wanted
to make a simple gift for the person who gave me the lathe.
I was ordering some centers and noticed a pen making kit.
I ordered the kit but I question the value of the gift.
(only as a craftsman looking at my own work not the monetary
value) To me it seems that anyone who gets this kit is
going to end up with the same pen (assuming an equal skill
level). There are only so many ways you can shape it and
make it feel good in the hand. You basically finish them
all the same way. The blanks are what you get. The only
variable I see it the wood or plastic you choose for the
blank, then after that, a machine could have done it. So
why do you guys make pens? Am I missing something?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

you can vary the shape a bit - when I made pens, I always added a little
bulge so it wouldn't slide around in your fingers - but making pens is not
hard - once you have some lathe skills, if it takes you 1/2 hour to make a
pen you are just stalling - nonetheless, they are practical and attractive
so they make nice gifts.

A bowl or vase requires more skill and will reveal what you can or cannot do
much better

"errfrsdaf" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 25 May 2008 00:02:44 -0400, errfrsdaf wrote:

I was drawn kicking and screaming into pens after years of bowl turning..

I was NOT a "spindle turner"...

They're now a steady source of income and I get several referrals a year for
them..

The starter kits are just that... Simple kits, lots of rosewood blanks, etc...

I hated the constraints of the "slimline" pens, mostly because of the wasp waist
thing..
This is caused by the size of the center band, as that and the ends determine
the size of the finished pen..
I played with that a bit and found that if I either trashed the band or made my
own, I could have a lot of different shapes and still use the cheap kits..

Try NOT using a center bushing on a few slimlines... Where the 2 blanks meet,
you can burn a line with wire to accent the seam or a line above and below it to
hide it.. Gives you instant shape choices..

If I can answer any questions, etc., feel free to email me..

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"errfrsdaf" wrote in message
[...]

I've turned a few dozen pens and came to the same basic conclusions you did.
I found it no challenge at all, almost all the turning just involved
roughing from square to round. You can play around a little with the shape,
but as you point out, it's limited. I've done very little production work,
but I imagine those that make money from it are among the few for whom pen
turning holds an interest. Most others, I would think, would become as bored
as you and I after the first few.

Buddy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Buddy Matlosz wrote:

"errfrsdaf" wrote in message
[...]

Some of the pens that looked the neatest to me were those that
were made of intricate glue-ups. It add some dimension to the
project to create some of these glue-ups.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"errfrsdaf" wrote in message

I don't mean to offend anyone by this post but I'm not sure
I understand the driving force behind pen making. The reason
I am posting is that I was given an old lathe a month or so
ago and I've about got it ready to run again. I was wanted
to make a simple gift for the person who gave me the lathe.
I was ordering some centers and noticed a pen making kit.
I ordered the kit but I question the value of the gift.
(only as a craftsman looking at my own work not the monetary
value) To me it seems that anyone who gets this kit is
going to end up with the same pen (assuming an equal skill
level). There are only so many ways you can shape it and
make it feel good in the hand. You basically finish them
all the same way.

SNIP

Lots of incorrect assumptions there. If you turn with no imagination
however, all would be correct.

I made a lot of Parker style pens a few years ago, as well as the
slimlines. I had fun making both of them, although like anything else
done in bulk, it got tiresome.

You should go look at a few penturners sites. Not the guys that take
blanks and simply make a pen. Go the ones that make their own
additional hardware, see the blanks made by hand from exotic woods,
the resin bodied pens that look like the old 1930s pens. There are
folks that turn cabochons to inlay in the pens, some even cast pieces
to use from different materials. And some of the patterns that the
guys are making now with aluminum threads and dark colored resins will
blow you away.
You should check out this site for just a very few ideas of shapes and
materials:

http://www.ciwriting.com/index.html

Keep in mind that guy uses store bought blanks or cuts the wood
himself.

I have made keepsake pens for all types of occasions from different
woods that are very popular. I have made pens from "the old homestead
house" wood when the house was demolished. I have made pens from a
bat used when our local minor league won their championship; I made a
pen from wood from an old timer's ranch when he was forced to sell it
(that was a tearful presentation). The list goes on.

Try using different materials and making your own blanks. The game
will change a lot if you try to make a really nice pen. Don't cut
your blanks to a set of bushings: man up - use your calipers and fit
the turned pieces to the actual dimension of the parts you received.
In a pen judging competition, they will not accept the pen if you can
feel the difference between the metal kit pieces and your wood.

Making pens is fun if you use your imagination. If you are just
chewing out a pen here and there, not much to it. But if you are
making a pen made from your kid's first big buck's horns, then you
have something altogether different.

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On May 24, 11:02*pm, errfrsdaf wrote:
[...]
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

I guess it all depends on the person, there are thousands of pen
makers out there who enjoy the hobby and make money from the hobby.
Yes the basic pen can be boring but everyone has to start some where.
My first bowls were pretty basic also.
You ca make pens form alot of materials , these can be inlayed,
segmented, turned and carved. It depends on how creative you wanta be.
It's the same with bowls. pens are something as you say anyone at any
skill level can do. So it is a great hobby to get into.
Pen making is like any other woodworking project.
It can be basic or you can do alot with it.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In addition to all the other replies, pen making can be an even
quicker source of
gratification. It can take me 2 or 3 days to turn a bowl. (Get home
from work, turn the
outside, sand and oil. Let dry at least 24 hours. Turn the inside,
sand and finish. Let dry. Buff)

A pen can be turned in a bit over an hour. I use super glue and let
it dry for about an hour.
Pens are also easier to package and send off as gifts. The last 2
trips the wife and I made to
China we took bowls and they took up about half of one suitcase (she
has a big family). This time it's pens.

On May 25, 12:02 am, errfrsdaf wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

variable I see it the wood or plastic you choose for the
blank, then after that, a machine could have done it. So
why do you guys make pens? Am I missing something?

It sounds like what you enjoy about turning is the challenge. Is that
right? Or am I reading too much between the lines? If that is so, then
when you have mastered the tools and techniques of turning, where will you
find an adequate challenge? Or do you enjoy the novelty aspect? Every
project is something new and different? If so, turning offers endless
possibilities for designing new and different things. You are right -
pens have their limitations.

I have turned professionally for a number of years. My skews, gouges, and
scrapers do not challenge me, they are just tools. When I make a pen,
it's not for the challenge, it's for the pen. I don't get very creative
with them, either. I just happen to like wood pens. One of my favorites
I didn't even make myself. It appears to be some sort of plain mahogany,
it cost $7, and it says "Estes Park" on it. I love that pen. I don't
care if I made it myself or not. I don't make pens to sell, either,
although I have given away a pile of them as gifts. I have never bought a
pen blank. I make them from interesting little cutoffs from bowl or
hollow form projects. I can't speak for other people, but that's why I
make pens - for the finished product. Not for the challenge, the
creativity, or the pride of craftsmanship. I just do it so I can have the
pen. That's a good enough reason for me. Your mileage may vary.
best wishes,
-mike paulson, fort collins, co

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Mike Paulson wrote:
variable I see it the wood or plastic you choose for the
blank, then after that, a machine could have done it. So
why do you guys make pens? Am I missing something?

It sounds like what you enjoy about turning is the challenge. Is that
right?

I don't know I've never turned before.

Or am I reading too much between the lines? If that is so, then
when you have mastered the tools and techniques of turning, where will you
find an adequate challenge?

Hopefully it will be hard to be a master! If I'm a master at doing
something hard then I'll be happy.

[...]

I have a lathe that most of you guys would probably laugh at and throw
away. I could afford a nice lathe but this one runs true and
I want to see if I develop a fondness for turning before upgrading.
I have seen that I can really do some neat things if I create some
glue-ups for pens. I may try that out and I think that will add
some enthusiasm for pen making.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 30 May 2008 22:10:57 -0400, errfrsdaf wrote:

snip
I have a lathe that most of you guys would probably laugh at and throw
away. I could afford a nice lathe but this one runs true and
I want to see if I develop a fondness for turning before upgrading.
I have seen that I can really do some neat things if I create some
glue-ups for pens. I may try that out and I think that will add
some enthusiasm for pen making.

An interesting article on pen making in the latest AAW issue.. worth checking
out..

Also, you might check out a book (magazine style) or 2 by Dick Sing.. He does
some really creative stuff and has step-by-step instructions with pictures..

I never thought I'd do pens but I'm really glad that I got into them..
Not only do I make a fairly constant income from them, but because you really
need to "hone" your skills with pens, it's made my bowl turning much better..

With pens, I find that you really need to focus on very sharp tools, light
touch, attention to detail, fine finishing, etc..
All of which you carry with you when you're doing spindle or "face plate" work..

BTW, I don't think anyone laughs at a lathe that does what you want it to and
introduces you to turning..