Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike Paulson Mike Paulson is offline

Default Is pen making too easy?

variable I see it the wood or plastic you choose for the
blank, then after that, a machine could have done it. So
why do you guys make pens? Am I missing something?

It sounds like what you enjoy about turning is the challenge. Is that
right? Or am I reading too much between the lines? If that is so, then
when you have mastered the tools and techniques of turning, where will you
find an adequate challenge? Or do you enjoy the novelty aspect? Every
project is something new and different? If so, turning offers endless
possibilities for designing new and different things. You are right -
pens have their limitations.

I have turned professionally for a number of years. My skews, gouges, and
scrapers do not challenge me, they are just tools. When I make a pen,
it's not for the challenge, it's for the pen. I don't get very creative
with them, either. I just happen to like wood pens. One of my favorites
I didn't even make myself. It appears to be some sort of plain mahogany,
it cost $7, and it says "Estes Park" on it. I love that pen. I don't
care if I made it myself or not. I don't make pens to sell, either,
although I have given away a pile of them as gifts. I have never bought a
pen blank. I make them from interesting little cutoffs from bowl or
hollow form projects. I can't speak for other people, but that's why I
make pens - for the finished product. Not for the challenge, the
creativity, or the pride of craftsmanship. I just do it so I can have the
pen. That's a good enough reason for me. Your mileage may vary.
best wishes,
-mike paulson, fort collins, co