Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Is pen making too easy?

On Fri, 30 May 2008 22:10:57 -0400, errfrsdaf wrote:

snip
I have a lathe that most of you guys would probably laugh at and throw
away. I could afford a nice lathe but this one runs true and
I want to see if I develop a fondness for turning before upgrading.
I have seen that I can really do some neat things if I create some
glue-ups for pens. I may try that out and I think that will add
some enthusiasm for pen making.

An interesting article on pen making in the latest AAW issue.. worth checking
out..

Also, you might check out a book (magazine style) or 2 by Dick Sing.. He does
some really creative stuff and has step-by-step instructions with pictures..

I never thought I'd do pens but I'm really glad that I got into them..
Not only do I make a fairly constant income from them, but because you really
need to "hone" your skills with pens, it's made my bowl turning much better..

With pens, I find that you really need to focus on very sharp tools, light
touch, attention to detail, fine finishing, etc..
All of which you carry with you when you're doing spindle or "face plate" work..

BTW, I don't think anyone laughs at a lathe that does what you want it to and
introduces you to turning..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing