Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Lime waxing??

Some years ago I saw a post in another forum about the effect you can get by
lime waxing(?) bowls. Searches have been unsuccessful, mainly because I
probably was using the wrong search string. I just don't recall what the
process is called. It gives the wood a green tint bringing out the grain in
the wood. In this case it was Ash and it looked fantastic. Sorry I can't
explain myself better. Hope this makes sense to someone.

Thanks...........Ralph

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On May 13, 7:57*am, "Comcast Newsgroups"
wrote:
Some years ago I saw a post in another forum about the effect you can get by
lime waxing(?) bowls. *

I don't think you are asking about lime-wax. Which gives white streaks
in open grain (it's available form both CraftSupplies USA and
Packard). I think you are asking about Patinating Wax. I know Packard
Woodworks sells that #123502 at $24.95

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ralph, I just checked the patinating wax at Packard and it is not what I was
looking for. The wax, or treatment, that I am talking about definitely gave
it a green tint. I just can't remember for the life of me what that was
called. Thanks again for that information.........Ralph

wrote:
Some years ago I saw a post in another forum about the effect you can get
by
lime waxing(?) bowls.

I don't think you are asking about lime-wax. Which gives white streaks
in open grain (it's available form both CraftSupplies USA and
Packard). I think you are asking about Patinating Wax. I know Packard
Woodworks sells that #123502 at $24.95

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Comcast Newsgroups wrote:
Some years ago I saw a post in another forum about the effect you can get by
lime waxing(?) bowls. Searches have been unsuccessful, mainly because I
probably was using the wrong search string. I just don't recall what the
process is called. It gives the wood a green tint bringing out the grain in
the wood. In this case it was Ash and it looked fantastic. Sorry I can't
explain myself better. Hope this makes sense to someone.

Thanks...........Ralph

In "Decorative Techniques for Woodturners", Hilary Bowen shows doing
such a thing. She applied a water based dye to a candlestick - a
somewhat greenish/blue color - then used liming wax to enhance the
grain. It was white and filled the pores and was quite striking against
the died wood. In this case the wood was oak.

Jan Sanders shows a similar piece in her book Colouring Techniques for
Woodturners. In both cases the wood was died, and the liming wax
applied afterwards.

One could, of course, use a colored wax against a non-stained wood. as
well...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
Comcast Newsgroups wrote:
[...]

Are we talking about creating a "verdegree" effect?
Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thank you Kevin. That sounds exactly like what I remember the process to
be. I am searching for this information for a friend and thought perhaps
there might be a website that perhaps explained the process in case he isn't
interested in buying the book(s).

Again thanks for the information..........Ralph

Comcast Newsgroups wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message , Comcast
Newsgroups writes
Hi Chris. I have never heard of "verdegree". Could be the same process
but I can't confirm that.

Thanks......Ralph

Verdigris if I ember is the corrosion you get on copper, where it goes
green IIRC its copper carbonate or Malachite
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hotfoot wrote:

Are we talking about creating a "verdegree" effect?
Chris

Beats me. I've never heard that word before.

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://counter.li.org

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Are we talking about creating a "verdegree" effect?
Chris

Beats me. I've never heard that word before.

Right term, wrong spelling. It's "verdigris" (must be French).

Paste wax shoe polish works well for this, although I always give it a
couple coats of clear lacquer on top for durability.

-Mike Paulson, Fort Collins, CO