Posted to rec.woodworking

Default waxing the tailpiece?

Yeah, funny subject; you write a better one.

Anyhow, I have turned many bowls, but decided to try my first spindle today.
I found if I really tightened the tail piece there was too much friction;
and if I loosened it, it wobbled.

I "solved" the problem by waxing it. That way I could tighten it up, yet
not get friction.

Is this a reasonable approach, or is there a better way? Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Yes, wax was a standard until recent years. Now the standard is to use a
live center. A live center has a ball bearing mounted point that rotates
with the work so friction is not a problem. most lathes sold today come
standard with a live center. Odd yours didn't.

"Toller" wrote in message
Yeah, funny subject; you write a better one.

Anyhow, I have turned many bowls, but decided to try my first spindle

today.
I found if I really tightened the tail piece there was too much friction;
and if I loosened it, it wobbled.

I "solved" the problem by waxing it. That way I could tighten it up, yet
not get friction.

Is this a reasonable approach, or is there a better way? Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in
.net:

Yes, wax was a standard until recent years. Now the standard is to use
a live center. A live center has a ball bearing mounted point that
rotates with the work so friction is not a problem. most lathes sold
today come standard with a live center. Odd yours didn't.

My cheapie from the toy store suggested using oil on the tailstock. I'll
have to try wax sometime, though, as I don't need the oil staining the
wood before I do it myself.

Puckdropper