Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default waxing the tailpiece?

"CW" wrote in
.net:

Yes, wax was a standard until recent years. Now the standard is to use
a live center. A live center has a ball bearing mounted point that
rotates with the work so friction is not a problem. most lathes sold
today come standard with a live center. Odd yours didn't.

My cheapie from the toy store suggested using oil on the tailstock. I'll
have to try wax sometime, though, as I don't need the oil staining the
wood before I do it myself.

Puckdropper