Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default spruce burl work in progress done

I finally got the pictures of the spruce burl vase/hollow form up on the
site. Any criticisms are welcome although I reserve the right to disagree
even when you are right.
http://aroundthewoods.com/workinprog...uceburl11.html

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks Kevin
The trick with the bark inclusions is to get a burl that has formed on the
branch. I find the trunk burls on spruce, although larger, have little grain
development, bark inclusions, or other enhancements. The change when the
finish hits the spruce bark and the rich chocolate brown pops out is quite
dramatic. There is another one on the way. I will try to get some pages up
soon.

--
"Kevin Cleary" wrote in message
Real nice job Darrell.I really like the bark inclusions.
Kevin
"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
I finally got the pictures of the spruce burl vase/hollow form up on the
site. Any criticisms are welcome although I reserve the right to disagree
even when you are right.
http://aroundthewoods.com/workinprog...uceburl11.html

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS Canada
http://aroundthewoods.com
http://roundopinions.blogspot.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Apr 10, 10:07 am, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:

I like the form shape, and I really liked the bark and inclusions.
Good job! And I think the whole presentation of your project and how
you did it from start to finish is top shelf as well.

I like the "bull's eye" of the branch. I look for pieces like that as
down south here we have very little spalted or highly figured woods
that are readily available. We have almost no "firewood pile" finds,
believe me. So the more interesting pieces tend to be ones with
inclusions, knots, worm holes, fungus discolorations, etc.

A couple of years ago I took a branch of sycamore about 10" in
diameter and cut it 10" long. The wood was ivory in color and the
heartwood was a medium brown.

I mounted the wood in the lathe with the grain perpendicular to the
ways, like you would for a traditional bowl, and turned a vase.

I though it was really neat as it came out as a cross section of the
tree with all the growth rings visible on two sides. Strangely, after
letting it dry in shavings (until I remembered it) for about 10
months, it never deformed.

The club guys were mixed in their reviews. About 75% of the guys had
never seen that, and they didn't like it because that wasn't a proper
form. I had mounted it wrong to begin with. But some of the younger
guys went back to their lathes and turned some larger branch or trunk
wood with that orientation and loved the look.

So much to my delight, we had some pieces come back that were oriented
"incorrectly" for a few months. It was good to see barely tolerant
(and puzzled) looks of some of the guys when those pieces were passed
around. I personally thought they complimented the usual plethora of
bowls, boxes, platters and candlesticks very nicely.

Any criticisms are welcome although I reserve the right to disagree
even when you are right.

AMEN, brother. After all, it's all about the fun, right?

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Right Robert. It is all in the fun.
By the way, turning a hollow form or vase with the grain perpendicular to
the ways is the method that David Ellsworth usually uses to turn his forms.
If you use green wood and let it distort, it can make an oval form almost
like a football. Generally I like to have the grain truly perpendicular but
if you have it over, say 5 to 10 degrees, the piece will lean as it dries.
Ain't that cool?

--
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Apr 11, 11:43 am, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:
Right Robert. It is all in the fun.
By the way, turning a hollow form or vase with the grain perpendicular to
the ways is the method that David Ellsworth usually uses to turn his forms.
If you use green wood and let it distort, it can make an oval form almost
like a football. Generally I like to have the grain truly perpendicular but
if you have it over, say 5 to 10 degrees, the piece will lean as it dries.
Ain't that cool?

Absolutely. There is something else I haven't tried. I would love
to see a piece self distort like that as it gives shapes only nature
can provide. And I never thought of how that would distort evenly or
unevenly if mounted a certain way. Food for thought, for sure.

I bought an old microwave at a garage sale a few years ago on the
cheap and used it to experiment with microwave drying. I managed to
make a mess... ummm... errr.... add artistic dimension to my turnings
as they distorted wildly in the microwave. Talk about rustic looking;
heck, I even set a couple on fire!

I call that my pyrography phase if anyone sees that small vase though,
so I am covered.

Robert

Work in Progress Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 4 May 30th 08 12:07 AM
work in progress again Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 0 March 14th 08 11:29 PM
Work in progress tom Woodworking 0 May 23rd 07 01:52 AM
work in progress Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 0 January 1st 07 12:01 AM
Work in progress Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 2 October 4th 06 07:18 PM