Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Work in Progress

I have the hollow form almost completed. The turning is done and the bottom
is sanded and signed, but I have to get a few coats of finish on it for
final pictures. Meantime I have some photos of the start of the next burl
vase. I should have them up sometime soon. Anyway the bottom is at
http://aroundthewoods.com/workinprog...uceburl10.html

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message %uWFj.120453$w57.11316@edtnps90, Darrell Feltmate
writes
I have the hollow form almost completed. The turning is done and the bottom
is sanded and signed, but I have to get a few coats of finish on it for
final pictures. Meantime I have some photos of the start of the next burl
vase. I should have them up sometime soon. Anyway the bottom is at
http://aroundthewoods.com/workinprog...uceburl10.html

Darrell

After some months of net being able to get to your website, I can so now
I can explore

But you have a dud link

http://aroundthewoods.com/workinprog...uceburl11.html

'woodturing contents' goes to the wrong location
http://aroundthewoods.com/workinprog.../contents.html
--
John

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Darrell, a question. I see you don't finish the insides and I keep
reading about putting finish on both sides of a board so the wood will
not take up moisture on one side to cause warping or wood movement.
This is not true of hollow forms?

Bruce

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
I have the hollow form almost completed. The turning is done and the bottom
is sanded and signed, but I have to get a few coats of finish on it for
final pictures. Meantime I have some photos of the start of the next burl
vase. I should have them up sometime soon. Anyway the bottom is at
http://aroundthewoods.com/workinprog...uceburl10.html

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Bruce
Boy, are you opening up a can of worms or at least a hollow form of bugs. I
have turned a lot of hollow forms and vases and rarely finish the inside,
especially of art pieces. In this I have followed the pattern of David
Ellsworth and John Jordan, as well as a host of others, so as to put myself
in good company. My understandng is wood moves with the addition and loss of
water, generally as a result of relative humidity in the air. The movement
of relatively dry wood in relatively even humidity fluctuations is small and
gradual while the circular form is inherently strong (witness the egg). In
addition the loss and gain is greater on the outside than the inside of the
form both because of smaller surface area and because of the enclosed air
mass. This allows us to get away with a finish on the outside and not the
inside without serious problems due to unequal movement and stresses.
I think.
Experience says it works :-)

--

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
I have the hollow form almost completed. The turning is done and the
bottom is sanded and signed, but I have to get a few coats of finish on
it for final pictures. Meantime I have some photos of the start of the
next burl vase. I should have them up sometime soon. Anyway the bottom is
at http://aroundthewoods.com/workinprog...uceburl10.html

work in progress again Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 0 March 14th 08 11:29 PM
Work in progress tom Woodworking 0 May 23rd 07 01:52 AM
Work in Progress Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 4 January 5th 07 11:27 PM
work in progress Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 0 January 1st 07 12:01 AM
Work in progress Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 2 October 4th 06 07:18 PM