DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Work in Progress (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/239732-work-progress.html)

Darrell Feltmate March 24th 08 11:07 PM

Work in Progress

I have the hollow form almost completed. The turning is done and the bottom
is sanded and signed, but I have to get a few coats of finish on it for
final pictures. Meantime I have some photos of the start of the next burl
vase. I should have them up sometime soon. Anyway the bottom is at
http://aroundthewoods.com/workinprog...uceburl10.html

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

John March 25th 08 07:46 AM

Work in Progress

In message %uWFj.120453$w57.11316@edtnps90, Darrell Feltmate
writes
I have the hollow form almost completed. The turning is done and the bottom
is sanded and signed, but I have to get a few coats of finish on it for
final pictures. Meantime I have some photos of the start of the next burl
vase. I should have them up sometime soon. Anyway the bottom is at
http://aroundthewoods.com/workinprog...uceburl10.html

Darrell

After some months of net being able to get to your website, I can so now
I can explore :)

But you have a dud link

http://aroundthewoods.com/workinprog...uceburl11.html

'woodturing contents' goes to the wrong location :)
http://aroundthewoods.com/workinprog.../contents.html
--
John

Bruce Ferguson May 29th 08 06:56 PM

Work in Progress

Darrell, a question. I see you don't finish the insides and I keep
reading about putting finish on both sides of a board so the wood will
not take up moisture on one side to cause warping or wood movement.
This is not true of hollow forms?

Bruce

Darrell Feltmate May 30th 08 12:07 AM

Work in Progress

Hi Bruce
Boy, are you opening up a can of worms or at least a hollow form of bugs. I
have turned a lot of hollow forms and vases and rarely finish the inside,
especially of art pieces. In this I have followed the pattern of David
Ellsworth and John Jordan, as well as a host of others, so as to put myself
in good company. My understandng is wood moves with the addition and loss of
water, generally as a result of relative humidity in the air. The movement
of relatively dry wood in relatively even humidity fluctuations is small and
gradual while the circular form is inherently strong (witness the egg). In
addition the loss and gain is greater on the outside than the inside of the
form both because of smaller surface area and because of the enclosed air
mass. This allows us to get away with a finish on the outside and not the
inside without serious problems due to unequal movement and stresses.
I think.
Experience says it works :-)