Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default OT South Georgia Nomenclature OT

Growing up on a farm in South Georgia in the olden days (clue: You
could buy a pack of Lucky Strikes plus a box of penny matches for 25
cents), I learned all the names for God's creatures. There was a large
land tortoise which lived in burrows in the ground. Our neighbor kept
one in the fenced yard for months, feeding him turnip greens and other
vegetables. We kids would take turns standing on his back while he
carried us around. He was about 20 inches in diameter. Anyway, they
were called gophers. Now, we also had gophers (the pocket gopher), but
they were called salamanders. Strangely enough, we also had
salamanders which lived in the small streams or branches, but they
were known as spring lizards.

I was so mixed up by the time I learned the "real" names that I have
been mixed up ever since.

A nice day at the office today. I finished a medium-large wild cherry
bowl and roughed out seven more bowls.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Is there life before coffee?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Apr 4, 5:42 pm, Gerald Ross wrote:

Is there life before coffee?

No.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Easy for you to say Robert. My doctor has me on decaf these days. Actually
it is my little brother's fault. He had a heart attack (doing great) and now
my doctor is determined to keep me alive. Moral: never get a doctor who does
not drink coffee. :-)

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
wrote in message
On Apr 4, 5:42 pm, Gerald Ross wrote:

Is there life before coffee?

No.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Apr 4, 6:04 pm, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:

Easy for you to say Robert. My doctor has me on decaf these days. Actually
it is my little brother's fault. He had a heart attack (doing great) and now
my doctor is determined to keep me alive. Moral: never get a doctor who does
not drink coffee. :-)

My goodness... you really got me there. I snorted so hard I almost
hit the monitor.

Sound advice. I'm writin' that one down.

Robert

(still snickering...)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Gerald, do you remember those thrifty Georgia farmer's wives (maybe your
Grandmother was like mine) that kept reusing the coffee grounds til they
were gray. After 3 days we had decaf and didn't know it. Then she
started adding chickory for a few more days. Started out strong enough
for staining bowls and ended up bitter as gall. Same thrift with the
coffee 'cow', aka 'blue John'; milk with _all the cream poured off.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch wrote:
Gerald, do you remember those thrifty Georgia farmer's wives (maybe your
Grandmother was like mine) that kept reusing the coffee grounds til they
were gray. After 3 days we had decaf and didn't know it. Then she
started adding chickory for a few more days. Started out strong enough
for staining bowls and ended up bitter as gall. Same thrift with the
coffee 'cow', aka 'blue John'; milk with _all the cream poured off.

Turn to Safety, Arch

Fortiter

I heard my grandfather recycled his coffee grounds. We always had milk
cows,
but used canned milk (carnation) in coffee. Just punched two holes in
the top with an Ice Pick and it poured out just nifty.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

It can't rain all the time.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
Easy for you to say Robert. My doctor has me on decaf these days. Actually
it is my little brother's fault. He had a heart attack (doing great) and now
my doctor is determined to keep me alive. Moral: never get a doctor who does
not drink coffee. :-)

Have you ever had a doc tell you quit smoking and loose weight??? And
there he sets with cigar ash down his front and about 50 lbs over weight?

--

Richard

Richard L. Rombold
WIZARD WOODWORKING
489 N. 32nd. St.
Springfield, Or .97478

Take a look at my mess and work.
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/...ername=thewizz

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
good with ketchup"
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default OT South Georgia Nomenclature OT (mild rebuttal by a portlydoc...

...who doesn't smoke but used to and now warns about using tobacco and
food that tastes good, but adds a lethal pannus (aka beer belly) or a
lump in the lung. I do enjoy a wee drop of a good single malt, but you
shouldn't drink any alcohol at all.

"Do as I say, not as I do" is the watchword. No different with docs
than with New York Governors and most other politicos. I think I heard
the same about a few priests, rabbis and ministers. I'm sure I heard it
about more than a few brokers and attorneys.

To comply with Kevin's bylaws and stay on topic. could it be that one or
two turners of wood huckster one tool or lathe and actually use another?
Naw!

Nothing to do with my rcw advice, of course. I always wear a face mask,
there are no extension cords on my shop floor. I always put the tool on
the rest before cutting. I never leave toxic or flammable things
anywhere near my shop and I don't just wash up after a turning session.
I shower and change clothes and I heed the wife's warning to always wear
clean underwear. I might be in an accident.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter