Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Metal powders for filling UK

I suspect some of you have played with this, and it can be a useful way
to recover blanks and other pieces of wood with gaps, giving an
interesting finish. The problem I noticed was price of the powder

Aluminium 50grams ( 2oz) is generally about 3.50 GAP which appears to be
available from a number of turning stores.

As I hate spending money on things I think I should be able to get
cheaper I did a Google and found 500g for 5.83 GAP. I am not sure if
its the same grade though but its listed as 250mesh to dust

If anyone is interested here is a link
http://www.tiranti.co.uk/subdivision...tegory=58&Subd
ivision=219

They also sell Bronze Brass and Copper powders but the savings are not
so dramatic only about 25% on the smaller quantities

The interesting thing was it is a company supplying materials for
modelling sculpting, so it may be a clue as to where to search
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"John" wrote in message
news
[...]

You can get copper and aluminum simulated "metallic" epoxies here in the US
at home centers. They look OK.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

John wrote:
[...]

I just chuck a piece of brass bar in my lathe and use a file to get
small stuff, or put a drill bit in the tailstock and drill into the
end to get crumbles. This looks good with crushed turquoise in black
epoxy.

You can also get filings from places that cut keys. This usually has
some nickel in it so it doesn't look as nice.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Hors d'oeuvres--a ham sandwich cut
into forty pieces.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message , Gerald Ross
writes
I just chuck a piece of brass bar in my lathe and use a file to get
small stuff,

That was an idea I had, but wasn't sure if the filings would fine
enough. Definitely worth a try

You can also get filings from places that cut keys. This usually has
some nickel in it so it doesn't look as nice.

I don't think our local key cutter does enough trade, but next time I am
passing I will ask

--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

If anyone is interested here is a linkhttp://www.tiranti.co.uk/subdivision_product_list.asp?Subcategory=58&...
ivision=219

They also sell Bronze Brass and Copper powders but the savings are not
so dramatic only about 25% on the smaller quantities

The interesting thing was it is a company supplying materials for
modelling sculpting, so it may be a clue as to where to search
--
John

Hi John, Go to the hardware store and ask for the scrap from the key
duplicating machine. They will usually give it to you. It's gold and
silver colors mixed but all that I have used looks gold even with the
silver mixed in. Bob
http://www.outofcontrol-woodturning.com