Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Laburnum for turning

I have picked up a small piece of Laburnum 2ft long 2ft dia, and plan to
cut it up. I have read that the leaves , seeds and root contain an
Alkaloid poison? What bout the trunk? Any special precautions there?

Any advice would be appreciated, as I would rather not to put myself or
the dog at risk
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Feb 12, 1:57*pm, John wrote:
I have picked up a small piece of Laburnum 2ft long 2ft dia, and plan to
cut it up. I have read that the leaves , seeds and root contain an
Alkaloid poison? *What bout the trunk? Any special precautions there?

Any advice would be appreciated, as I would rather not *to put myself or
the dog at risk
--
John

John the Laburnum (AKA Golden rain) is poisonous, wood root leaves
seeds, in short entirely, so don't consume either through mouth or
nose, skin contact is no problem in my experience, beautiful wood to
turn, over here the plants barely survive, I have a couple of small
plants, but it surely takes a hundred years to get a small tree if any
at all.
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

John wrote:

I have picked up a small piece of Laburnum 2ft long 2ft dia, and plan to
cut it up. I have read that the leaves , seeds and root contain an
Alkaloid poison? What bout the trunk? Any special precautions there?

Any advice would be appreciated, as I would rather not to put myself or
the dog at risk

See:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...on/Laburan.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Feb 12, 6:02 pm, Nova wrote:
John wrote:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...on/Laburan.htm

Well, after reading that, I think I quietly take it back to wherever I
got it. They don't leave much wiggle room on that site.

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message
,
" writes

John the Laburnum (AKA Golden rain) is poisonous, wood root leaves
seeds, in short entirely, so don't consume either through mouth or
nose, skin contact is no problem in my experience, beautiful wood to
turn, over here the plants barely survive, I have a couple of small
plants, but it surely takes a hundred years to get a small tree if any
at all.
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

It sounds like I need to be extra careful with this one, especially with
only a small garden, OK its only twice the size of the workshop and
that's a nice cosy design. I can stand in the middle and touch all the
equipment around me

So its probably best to split with an axe and then turn whilst wearing
respirator. And definitely no Laburnum Pie
--
John

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message 4sqsj.6386$%q3.1230@trndny07, Nova
writes
John wrote:

I have picked up a small piece of Laburnum 2ft long 2ft dia, and plan
to cut it up. I have read that the leaves , seeds and root contain an
Alkaloid poison? What bout the trunk? Any special precautions there?
Any advice would be appreciated, as I would rather not to put
myself or the dog at risk

See:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...on/Laburan.htm

Thanks Jack,

That's a very useful Website. I didn't see that one when I did my
search. Now in favourites
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JD JD is offline

On Feb 13, 10:03 am, "
wrote:
On Feb 12, 6:02 pm, Nova wrote: John wrote:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...on/Laburan.htm

Well, after reading that, I think I quietly take it back to wherever I
got it. They don't leave much wiggle room on that site.

Robert

Yeah, the "may be fatal" part would be enough of a deterant for me.

JD
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

JD wrote:
: On Feb 13, 10:03 am, "
:
: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...on/Laburan.htm
:
: Well, after reading that, I think I quietly take it back to wherever I
: got it. They don't leave much wiggle room on that site.
:
: Robert

: Yeah, the "may be fatal" part would be enough of a deterant for me.

Aw, come on. It doesn't say "will be fatal", now does it?

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:
On Feb 12, 6:02 pm, Nova wrote:
John wrote:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...on/Laburan.htm

That was an interesting read. I've turned dry and wet laburnam wearing
just my standard safety gear without any problem - face mask, visor and
fully covered arms and legs. My extractor was on whilst sanding only.
I've had logs nearly 2 foot in diameter as well.

In my opinion it's one of the most attractive uk timbers with the pail
cream sapwood contrasting the flecked golden green heartwood.

Duncan
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Andrew Barss wrote:
JD wrote:
: On Feb 13, 10:03 am, "
: wrote:
: On Feb 12, 6:02 pm, Nova wrote: John wrote:
:
: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...on/Laburan.htm
:
: Well, after reading that, I think I quietly take it back to wherever I
: got it. They don't leave much wiggle room on that site.
:
: Robert

: Yeah, the "may be fatal" part would be enough of a deterant for me.

Aw, come on. It doesn't say "will be fatal", now does it?

And besides, everybody dies if they live long enough anyway...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

New to turning. Jesse Woodturning 9 March 30th 07 05:34 PM
Turning 'Til There's No There There charlie b Woodturning 7 September 26th 06 04:32 PM
New to turning John \(NC\) Woodturning 2 January 16th 06 02:01 PM
cpu fan is turning , but the BIOS display that it is not turning ( MSI motherboard) computer Electronics Repair 3 December 23rd 05 10:38 PM
Pen Turning? harryc Woodturning 4 March 13th 05 07:44 PM