Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Visit to New Zealand

I will be visiting New Zealand (several cities) in March and would
appreciate hearing of any turning related event (club meetings, etc.),
tips on good galleries to visit, sources of local woods. Thanks in
advance!

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR
USA
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JD JD is offline

On Feb 10, 5:12 pm, wrote:
I will be visiting New Zealand (several cities) in March and would
appreciate hearing of any turning related event (club meetings, etc.),
tips on good galleries to visit, sources of local woods. Thanks in
advance!

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR
USA

Kip,

I will be visiting southern France and Germany in May. I would like to
bring back some native species, but I expect you will find that this
is not allowed. The concern is that you will bring foreign pests into
the country. When I hauled the RV to South Carolina this year, they
state park campgrounds prohibited individuals from bringing in wood
from out of state for the same fear.

Just my thoughts, others might have more knowledgeable input than I.
Actually, I hope they do. I'd love to bring some small pieces back,
although that might be difficult to convince the wife to abandon our
clothes so I would have space in the suitcases for my contraband.

JD
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Jd
Check and see if the bans cover wood or bark. When I was in Thailand last
year I was allowed to bring back wood without bark. Generally, if the wood
has been debarked the little critters are not going to come with it.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"JD" wrote in message
On Feb 10, 5:12 pm, wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message yMNrj.7584$FO1.3377@edtnps82, Darrell Feltmate
writes
Jd
Check and see if the bans cover wood or bark. When I was in Thailand last
year I was allowed to bring back wood without bark. Generally, if the wood
has been debarked the little critters are not going to come with it.

I read recently another proviso on importing wood was showing evidence
of kiln drying( I assume to ensure those little critters were really
dead). As you say, Bark was a definite No No. But each case needs
research of the countries involved
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Kip:

Which cities? There are two pretty good sized islands there.
Christchurch and the Banks Peninsula (South Island) are some of my
favorite places in the world so I hope you don't miss them.

Bill

wrote:
I will be visiting New Zealand (several cities) in March and would
appreciate hearing of any turning related event (club meetings, etc.),
tips on good galleries to visit, sources of local woods. Thanks in
advance!

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR
USA

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Feb 10, 3:12 pm, wrote:
I will be visiting New Zealand (several cities) in March and would
appreciate hearing of any turning related event (club meetings, etc.),
tips on good galleries to visit, sources of local woods. Thanks in
advance!

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR
USA

Hello Kip,

Mildred and I spent 30 days in New Zealand in March/April 2004. I set
up a woodturning tour ahead of time. We attended the Turangi Jamboree,
which was great fun, then on down to the South Island and drove around
the West side down to the very tip then back up to ChristChurch and
then flew back to the North Island for a few more days. I did 13 or 14
demonstrations in that 30 days and met some wonderful people. I also
did a CD on the trip for our family and friends. On the CD was a story
about our trip in PDF format. If it would help you plan your trip, I
could perhaps e-mail the story to you. It was a wonderful experience
and, I believe, if we hadn't had ties at home, we could probably have
just stayed there for the rest of our lives.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com