Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default What's in a name. Musing about eponyms vs descriptives. (warninglong)

Not a whole lot of non or new rcw woodturners know what is meant by
"George's Method of Woodturning" (gently turning a slowly revolving
blank held by a pin chuck) or "Mac's Theory of Economics" (if it does
nothing useful it sells better than if it's for use). There is a lot
more to confuse woodturners than eponyms, but I just had to waste two
hours looking up a little known syndrome named after some 18th century
doctor who might have been a quack at that.

Many of the tools, techniques, and turning philosophies named after the
rcw turner we associate with them would draw a blank stare elsewhere in
the turning world. Ask a club member what a COC is, just don't wait for
an answer.

In the wider world of woodturners there are many eponymous terms for
what we do, how we we do it, what we do it with and why we do it. Not
everybody knows what an Oland tool is, or an Ellsworth grind, or a
Raffin cut, or the shapes of the ever expanding list of famous name
skews, gouges, hollowing tools, drying methods and finishing
concoctions.

For those for whom the recognition light is on an eponym instead of a
descriptive is short, quick and easily understood. My rant is obviously
due to my frustration with the hundreds (thousands?) of "so and so's
syndromes" that clutter the literature and send me to the net or medical
library daily. It's getting to where only the news media believes that
they know what the syndrome's eponym means and soon only vendors and
prolific woodturning authors will presume to recognize what some turning
eponym implies.

Not a whole lot of you here on rcw will agree with me, but ranting
clears the sinuses and lowers the blood pressure of practicing as well
as closet COC's. How many of you guys besides Robert & me know what a
"Nailshooter's Clique" is? (Small Clubby Group of Gray Haired Know It
Alls) Hope I haven't misquoted Robert. If so don't quote me. This
is just another "Arch Musing". Of course you know what that eponym
means. BTW, I just learned what an eponym is, so naturally I must work
it to death. I did warn you.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
ebd ebd is offline

As always, you generate an Arch smile.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I think I want to be like Arch when I grow up. Well, when I grow a
little older anyway.
robo hippy

On Jan 20, 1:38*pm, ebd wrote:
As always, you generate an Arch smile.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"robo hippy" wrote:
I think I want to be like Arch when I grow up. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, well, what will Arch be like when HE grows up?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Had to look up eponym before responding to yet another
of Arch's Musings.

Escoulenesque.

Wolfe-ize

Lancer

Phoed

Tibettized

Finelled

Sfirification

Drozda Finialized

Sort of like BC and AC
Before Cher and After Cher
Now we've had

Madonna

Celine

Britney

Pink?

I'm getting a head ache.

When are we going to get to
BLO
50-50
jesso
?

charlie b

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jan 20, 1:58*pm, (Arch) wrote:

Snip

Not a whole lot of you here on rcw will agree with me, but ranting
clears the sinuses and lowers the blood pressure of practicing as well
as closet COC's. *

Hey... I agree with that one. No reason to bitch somehwere where no
one understands what you are talking about. Nice to get a little
moral support here, even if it is just a little. I'll take it!

How many of you guys besides Robert & me know what a
"Nailshooter's Clique" is? (Small Clubby Group of Gray Haired Know It
Alls) *Hope I haven't misquoted Robert. If so don't quote me. *

OK... now that's pretty damn funny. I am still snickering while I am
typing this.

Odd, too that you would pick that exact scenario, Arch. I have been
strongly encouraged to attend a club meeting as they have run off most
of the folks that used to go. The problem for me is I don't know who
left and who stayed, so the only way to find out is to attend.

Rest assured if I make it this Thursday I will be thinking of you,
sir, while eyeing the current members.

.......still snickering.....

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Remember, growing older is manditory, growing up is optional.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate